Sub-department or sub-function labels in Visio cross-functional process flow

Started by peloton, February 19, 2010, 06:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peloton

Hi,

Does anyone know how to create secondary labels for functions in a cross-functional process flow?  I am mapping a process between various roles at corporate and a business unit.  I would like to show each role as a separate cross-functional band, but group them under "Corporate" and "Business Unit" headings that overlap all of the applicable roles.  See the example attached.  This can be done in iGrafx, and I thought I did it in Vision before, but I just can't find it.

Thank you in advance.

Paul Herber

Well, here is something very simple, all I did was create a small box, duplicate it twice, align the three boxes, group them, align them over the top of the heading area, then enter some text. They won't resize, move or interact in any way with the x-functional shapes I doubt whether that will be possible as ath xfunc addon will expect the xfunc lane shapes to have certain properties, there is very little that can be done to the shapes that will keep them working properly. Don't group them!

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

Using Paul's lead, you can do the same, albeit, more involved, within the structure of the CFP elements.  It does require some shapesheet editting, but should preserve all of the functionality.  Note:  you may have to guard the formula changes --  I don't normally do CFP's.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

peloton

Wapperdude and Paul - thank you for your quick replies.

Although I have been using Visio for many years, I have not gotten underneath the covers of the shape/structure of elements, etc.  How do I open a shape sheet and modify the LocPinX for the box and the lane.

Thanks again,

peloton

wapperdude

Pretty easy...

Before you open the shapesheet, go to menu bar > Window > Tile.  This will allow you to see both your drawing and shapesheet.  That way, changes made in the shapesheet are immediately visible in the drawing.  You can always undo.

Select the shape, go to the menu bar > Window > Show Shapesheet.

The 1st or perhaps 2nd section, should have the entry that contains LocPinX.  It will be a formula.  If you want to move the shape a 1/2" to the right, change the entry.  For example, the entry may be width*1.  Change it to be width*1-0.5 in.  When finished, close the shapesheet.

You will notice that both title box and swimlane moved to the right.  Now click again on the swimlane box, this should show the swimlane selected.  Open it's shapesheet.  Instead of the LocPinX entry, change the width entry to shrink the size of the swimlane.

That should do it.  The Visio file that I attached has utilized all of these steps.
Visio 2019 Pro