Process Mapping

Started by Binchen, August 18, 2009, 01:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binchen

Need help.....

I am creating a process map to open a bank account. At the beginning of the process you can choose between being an individual or if it will be a joint account. When you choose to have a joint account, the process will continue for some time for both choices until you have to enter the information for the second person on the account. How can I show this in my map?

scott

There are undoubtedly several ways to draw the map you describe. I've attached one example...

In this illustration, one outcome of Task A02 is that we need additional account holder data; if that's true, we recurse through Task A02 until we have data for one, two, three or more account holders.

Binchen

Quote from: scott on August 19, 2009, 02:09:17 AM
There are undoubtedly several ways to draw the map you describe. I've attached one example...

In this illustration, one outcome of Task A02 is that we need additional account holder data; if that's true, we recurse through Task A02 until we have data for one, two, three or more account holders.

Thank you for the reply. Would you be able to also let me know any other ways I could do it? The process runs parallel for some time before you need to enter the additional account holders and than it would be the same again. The main holder info is entered on the beginning at which time you also choose if this will be an individual or joint account.

Binchen

scott

Here's another alternative that shows a set of tasks that occur before we need to worry about whether there is a joint account holder.

Binchen

This one may work, but I was wondering if I also need to somehow show that at the time I choose joint to explain that at a later time you will enter the information for the other person?

Open account - enter main account holder information - choose between individual or joint - enter information about the main account holder - more information about the main account holder - more information about the main account holder - some information about the joint person - and than the process continues with regular information not specific to main or joint account holder

Sorry I am new to Visio and and in the US and not very good in explaining it in english either.

scott

I've attached two variations on my most recent post. Both incorporate task descriptions that are more like the ones in your last post, although you'll note that I've only drawn one task instead of three for enter information about the main account holder - more information about the main account holder - more information about the main account holder -- you can easily expand this to more than one task.

The first example below merely adds what we call a Guideline (it's below Task A12) to explain the difference in processing between individual and joint accounts.

The second example, adds additional flow lines, labeled "joint" and "individual" to make the paths more explicit.

As you can see, there is not one right or wrong way to draw a map like this. There are definitely some best practices for creating process maps but there's a lot of room for making your own judgments about what conveys the sense of the process most effectively.

BTW, all of the above is just my opinion and is expressed using our TaskMap software. Anyone else is welcome to jump in to show alternatives using flowcharts or any other technique.

wapperdude

There are many ways to diagram this   :o , and there is no preferred way  ::), unless, that's specified before hand  :'(.  So, here's a quick flow chart that includes a decision block to determine whether or not the account is individual, or joint.  The joint account uses a loop that will run thru the application process until all joint owners have filled out necessary application paperwork.

Basically, just think thru the steps, and put down a block for each "process" or decision.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Binchen

Thank you so much to both of you. This really helped me a lot. Just started using it about 6 months ago and most likely will have many questions in the future....lol

Have a wonderful day.