undefined tag on shapes when saved as web page?

Started by Ironcrux, August 08, 2009, 12:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironcrux

Ok I finally figured out how to add my own text to a shape when its is mouseovered when a visio drawing is saved as a web page by using a User.visEquivTitle and linking it to data row from the shape which derived from excel worksheet. But what I cant figure out is how do I get rid of the "undefined" text that appears below this. I poked though just about every setting in the shapesheet with no luck. I even checked out the default shapes and they show up with this undefined text too?????

Thanks

meks

What "undefined" text do you mean? I have tried adding a customized tooltip in shapes of Visio save as web page and there is no problem encountered...i Just followed these steps.
             1) Select the shape in your drawing that you want to add a web tooltip for
   2) Go to Window > Show Shapesheet
   3) Go to Insert > Section, check User-defined cells and click OK
   4) In the newly created section, click on the row name User.Row_1 to select
   the title of the row
   5) Type visEquivTitle and press Enter - you should now see
   User.visEquivTitle for the row
   6) In the Value cell of that row, enter the text you want to display
   surrounded by quotes or call a cell of the shape data.

Worked perfectly fine.

neilp

Hi I'm having exactly the same issue.
As per another posting I have set up User.visEquivTitle in the shapesheet and =Comment as the value.
On the webpage, the name as in the shape data "eCTD Tools Proof of Concept" shows as the screentip BUT with it is also "undefined".  Please see image in attached doc.
Any idea how to get rid of "undefined".

JohnGoldsmith

Hello Neil,

I can't repro your error I'm afraid, but can you package up a simple (ie a document with a single shape) example that replicates the problem?  If you can zip up the main html page and support files I'll take a look. 

Basically the tooltip is made up of two parts:- the shape data value and hyperlink instruction.  It's this second part that, for some reason, has not been set and so is returning 'undefined'.  It would be interesting to see why that's the case.

Best regards

John
John Goldsmith - Visio MVP
http://visualsignals.typepad.co.uk/

neilp

Thanks John

Attached files and contents as follows in this post:

Example_C.zip contains the generated example html file and support folder.

See other 2 posts that follow for source files.

Best wishes, Neil

neilp

Example_A.zip contains the example vsd file

neilp

Example_B.zip contains the associated stencil file

That's all

Neil

JohnGoldsmith

Hello Neil,

Thanks for supplying the html.  The problem is a JavaScript function that gets called as the page loads.  Unfortunately the code produced by some earlier versions of Visio is no longer compatible with newer browsers (it's difficult to look into the future I guess).  The problem function throws an error and  this prevents some of the other global variables from being defined and this is the problem that you're seeing. 

I wrote a post a little while ago on a workaround for this:

http://visualsignals.typepad.co.uk/vislog/2009/04/save-as-web-and-ie8.html

I tested it with your page and it does appear to solve the problem.  What version are you running?  The problem was fixed in SP2 for Visio 2007, so are you able to upgrade?

Maybe not the answer you were looking for but at least you know why it's happening.

Best regards

John

neilp

Thanks John

This is very helpful.  I will have a chat with my colleague who did the install to see if Service Pack 2 is an option.

I the meantime, I'll read up on your fix.

I'll get back to you...

Neil

neilp

Hi John

I now have Visio 2007 SP3.

It works, although I am getting a bit more than I'd expected.  So when I hover over the first bar, rather than getting

UAT number 1

I actually get

UAT number 1
Ctrl + Click to view details.

But no bad thing as that is what I want users to do.

Thanks again for all your help.

Neil   :)

JohnGoldsmith

Great.  Glad it's working for you. 

(The 'Ctrl + Click...' is the string constant that was previously undefined.)

Best regards

John