Poll: When Will You Upgrade to Visio 2010?

Started by Visio Guy, August 05, 2009, 05:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Will Buy Visio 2010...

as soon as it is released, of course!
within 3 months of its release
within 1 year of its release
more than 1 year after its release
I have MSDN, so it's "free"!
when they pry Visio 4.5 from my cold, dead hands
when my preview/beta expires

cotswolddave

I've been testing Visio 2010 with our automated drawing software and am finding that it is much better for viewing embedded data and using data graphics for multiple diagrams. The container view makes it much easier to categorise groups and move about (in my case servers, networks, cabling, etc) so that is a plus, especially as I typically have many hundreds of diagrams I want a consistent look and feel to.

Right-clicking on a shape and being able to quickly change font, colour, fill without extra levels of menus is better.

The custom access toolbar also helps - maybe because the ribbon gets in the way of finding the less common functions - which I seem to keep wanting to use.

Between 2007 pro and 2010 pro I'd say there are extras that probably make it worth changing. From 2003 and before - go straight to 2010

dave

jastronomy

you left an option out: already have it :p.

jamtart

Been using it for a few months now as I can get it real cheap from the education institute where I work. In the office we still use 2007. Peersonally I find 2010 awkward to use. I suppose in time I will get a custom ribbon set up to my liking. At the moment though I find I can get a lot more done with 2007.

cliff50

I will upgrade when my client base upgrades.. basically when the company decides to.. then there will be ongoing testing issues (still trying to nut out a boogie in 2007).. the problem is as always, trying to support functionality in superseded versions.. so I guess keep it simple , keep it neat  and the solution will stand the test of time.  (thats why we still have pencils and paper) ;D

Visio Guy

Thanks Cliff. "Nut out a boogie", never heard that one, but ten bucks says it's Aussie! :)
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

martytdx

To be honest, I can't stand the new ribbon for Visio 2010.  The fact that they removed several key features and toolbar buttons, and the 'custom' ribbon section is a joke.  To be honest, when they force to upgrade later this year, I'm putting in a ticket to get "Classic Visio Menus" installed, too...

Stefan

Changed to Visio 2010 very recently, I use it on a daily basis and now I have my head around the ribbon, I can work faster than I did with 2007, but as you see from other posts did have some issues with crashing which Windows 7 has found solutions and it appears now to be stable.
The other concern which bugs me is the zoom, it seems to be fixed to 1000 as a default which I am unable to resolve, and yet some old drawings created with 2007 version will zoom to 2900. I have attempted to change the zoom and set my own, but it skips back to 1000, which I feel limits the depth of detail I can work with, if anyone has worked out a way to change and set the default I would be very interested to hear from you.
I do not think they have made a bad job with this version and the the quick access toolbar gives a more flexible user option, I wonder how much notice they ( Microsoft) take from users prior to making changes.       

aledlund

"I wonder how much notice they ( Microsoft) take from users prior to making changes." The Visio product team is about a release behind what is happening in office. They (office) put the ribbon in at o2007, the Visio team did it in v2010. This gives them the significant advantage of being able to observe the headaches of new technology roll-outs and not get caught. This is reflected in how much more stable the v2010 ribbon implementation is than the original. Some changes, such as how the different editions of standard, pro, premium have different features and software loads, are reflections of how the business has changed and the cost of support. One of the things that we have to remember is that markets (such as Europe) have the very real effect of a large user with a big stick, so some of the changes may be less than voluntary.
al

AndyW

"I wonder how much notice they ( Microsoft) take from users prior to making changes."

Easy to answer, none!
Live life with an open mind