Counting in Visio?

Started by dtewfik, July 27, 2009, 01:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtewfik

Hey guys--
So I'm pretty much new to Visio, trying to mess around with it.
Basically I have a spreadsheet with multiple tickets, each with a status.
I also have a flow diagram, with each of the steps (statuses).

Basically, I want to count the number of tickets of each status, and post it under the appropriate flow diagram step.
Is this even possible? haha

Thanks!

Example:

Visio Guy

Hi Dtewfik,

If you've got Visio 2007 Pro, then you can do this using the Data Graphics feature. You'd create a new data graphic callout that reflected the value for a Shape Data field in each shape that held the number of tickets.

This field would be created when you imported the Excel data and linked each record to a shape.

If you need to do some totalling in your Excel data, then you might want to do that in Excel first, or write a bit of VBA code to analyze the data.

This might all be pretty vague for a newcomer, so feel free to ask further about points you don't understand!
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

dtewfik

No that makes sense.  Thanks...
The issue is It's actually coming from a Sharepoint list. Which makes it a tad more difficult.
I've imported the data into Visio, and originally wanted it to update automatically. 

Basically,
As data from these infopath documents come into Sharepoint, they are inported into Visio as a spreadsheet (and automatically updated).  Now I'm looking to aggregate the ones that are of the same status, and put that number under each step.

Possible?

Visio Guy

This sounds like a job for the Pivot Diagrams, but I don't play with them often enough to be able to tell you off hand if they'll do it exactly.

Also, re: Visio and SharePoint: Visio Services and SharePoint 2010
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010