Need text width to get the desired text height

Started by michelleh, July 24, 2009, 02:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michelleh

I need to set the size of the text block for my shape.

For most apps, the text width is fixed, and I can use the TextHeight(TheText, TxtWidth) shapesheet function to get the height needed.  For this app, though, I need to limit the text height to a maximum of 5 lines, using the minimum width.

Since there is no corresponding shapesheet function like TextWidth(TheText, TxtHeight), I have some complex formulas that count the number of words and apply a constant to set the TxtWidth to a value that forces the text wrapping to best fill the 5 lines.  It's close, but not perfect, with the width sometimes too small to fit the longest word.  Any ideas on a better way to approach this?

Michelle

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

michelleh

TEXTWIDTH does not give a limit to the height, though, so this does not work for my case.  As I said, I need to limit the height to 5 lines of text.

I finally wrote some C# code and did a rough calculation, then gave the user a handle to resize the width manually if the word wrapping doesn't come out right.  If there was a good shapesheet solution I'd like to remove this kludge.

vojo

vojo

can run a conversion of font  number to mm.    conversion has been used to scale font as shape grows/shrinks.
numerous posts for that.    use min to ensure proper height up to a certain value, then capped.

Of course, regardless of the size of the box, the font can be much larger or smaller than the box....so not sure its all that critical

Hey Ken

Folks:

Sorry for resurrecting an eight-year-old thread, but I'm looking to do the same thing Michelle was trying to do, and she summed it up nicely: I need "a corresponding shapesheet function like TextWidth(TheText, TxtHeight)", but "TEXTWIDTH does not give a limit to the height".

Vojo's suggestion of using MIN only does half the job: it does limit the height, but does not expand the width to keep all the text inside the text box.  If I follow his advice, I then need to adjust the width manually--and you know how much I hate to have extra keystrokes, let alone going through all the effort of lifting my hand off the keyboard to use the mouse.

The only solution I can envision is to use VBA to iterate through wider and wider widths until the height shrinks to reach the size I need.  See code below.  What I'd really like is a non-VBA solution, but I'm at a loss.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

- Ken

Public Sub WidenWidth()

Dim TheShape As Shape
Dim I As Single

Set TheShape = ActiveWindow.Selection(1)

For I = TheShape.Cells("Width").Result(0) To 10 Step 0.125
    ' User.TextHeight contains "=TEXTHEIGHT(TheText,Width)"
    If TheShape.Cells("User.TextHeight").Result(0) > 0.75 Then
        TheShape.Cells("Width").Formula = I
    Else
        Exit For
        End If
    Next I

End Sub

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com

wapperdude

Hard to do this in shapesheet without getting circular argument.  Perhaps SETATREF may help?  Something like set min / max limits, for shape height.  If text height exceeds shape height, then extend the width.  Still lingering issue of word split/wrapping I suspect.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro