Link to Layers in HTML?

Started by Mister Giggles, July 09, 2009, 03:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Giggles

1st: Newb here, first post.

2nd: I know this may have been answered before, so if a link to the correct thread is all I need, just let me know.

3rd: the problem: I have a Building layout with different layers (Power Layer, Network Layer, Base layer, Furniture Layer, etc.) I know I can do HTML links to different Visio tabs, but is there a way to make layers appear/disappear in an exported HTML?

The idea is to click on the "Power" Layer, for example, and see where the electric lines run, etc., but be able to hide that layer as needed.

scott

I can't think of a way to accomplish this directly because the web-published rendering of a Visio drawing is "flat", i.e., it doesn't have layers.

One solution, though a somewhat ugly one, would be to create multiple pages in your Visio drawing, each with a layer or combination of layers that you might want to see in the html rendering. Then when you publish, each view is available from the dropdown table of contents in the upper left of the IE view of the drawing. You could create the extra pages manually with background pages and appropriate cutting and pasting, or if the drawing changes often, it would be possible to write code to create the pages with the layer views before you save as web page.

Told you it was going to be ugly...

Visio Guy

Visio's SVG-export preserves layer information. You might wrap an svg solution around your exports that shows and hides layers.

As for the html-export, I think it would be tricky. John Goldsmith is the expert for Visio Save As Web stuff, so you might see if he's got any articles that will help.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010