Add columns to Parts List Title Block

Started by assyrian47, March 20, 2024, 03:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

assyrian47

Good day,

I am trying to add two additional columns to the Pasts List block, which comes with the VISIO 2019 Title Block stencil.  I tried to follow this process:

Open Your Visio Document:
Launch Microsoft Visio 2019 and open the document where you want to modify the "Parts List" block.
Access the Title Blocks Stencil:
Go to the View tab.
Click on Stencils in the Show group.
Select the Title Blocks stencil from the list.
Edit the Parts List Block:
Locate the "Parts List" block within the stencil.
Right-click on the "Parts List" shape and choose Edit Master.
This action will open the master shape for editing.
Add Columns:
In the master shape, you'll see the existing structure of the "Parts List."
To add columns, you can:
Insert New Shapes: Drag and drop additional shapes (representing columns) from the stencil onto the master shape.
Resize and Position: Arrange the shapes horizontally to create columns.
Label the Columns: Add text labels to each column to indicate the information you want to display (e.g., "Part Number," "Description," "Quantity," etc.).
Customize Column Content:
Double-click on each added shape to edit its content.
You can add placeholders for dynamic data (such as part numbers, descriptions, etc.) using Insert > Field.
Customize the appearance of the columns (font, color, borders, etc.) as needed.
Save and Close:
Once you've made the desired changes, save the master shape.
Close the master editing mode.

I was not able to get this to work.  Can anyone point me in the right direction.  Modifying the shape sheet is very complicated.

Thanks

Surrogate

Quote from: assyrian47 on March 20, 2024, 03:36:50 PMI was not able to get this to work
At what step in the process do you have problems?

Surrogate

Quote from: assyrian47 on March 20, 2024, 03:36:50 PMGo to the View tab.
Click on Stencils in the Show group.
Select the Title Blocks stencil from the list.
Edit the Parts List Block
In this case you change document stencil (local for this document).

We cant change built-in stencils  ???

wapperdude

Actually, I don't believe that this shape is editable.  Period. 

It is uniquely constructed, and appears to have some internally embedded support. 

Recommendation is to create a custom shape to get desired number of columns and heading labels.
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

The parts list shape is a simple shape that takes tab separated texts to display it in a tabular form. The vertical separators are defined in the geometry section and their positions are defined, together with the text tab positions by control points.
The editing method you described is - pardon me - weird. I didn't completely follow to the end, but there is nothing you can drop somewhere.

The question is, what are you trying to accomplish. What do want your shape to do?

PS: Important.
Never ever edit directly the master of an original stencil.

Drop it on your drawing, tweak it until it does what you want, then save it your own new or existing stencil.
Yacine