Flexible DIN Rail Shape

Started by Thomas Winkel, February 17, 2024, 10:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Winkel

My most complicated shape ever is a DIN Rail :o
Hiding geometries based on the width was easy.
But setting up the formulas to draw the last long hole when it's cut took hours of my life.
It wasn't worth the effort, but I wanted to demonstrate that it could be done.
* Scaling 1:10 (we do not use drawing scale)
* Max length: 200mm (-> 2m)
* User fields are only helper formulas for formulas in Geometry 1. They do not affect the other holes
* Only the last hole can be cut, not the first one (could be done with a control).

Yacine

Noice indeed. Bienchen!
You moved the critical hole to the end. Smart smart.
Yacine

hidden layer

aargh - this is so fantastic - I would have taken this for the terminals I made recently but they're 1:1.
Damn!

but in the end - no one see the DIN-rail after devices are shapped in  :) :(

thank you!

hl

Yacine

"Reihenklemmen"?
Germany is ranking #3 after the US and Russia in the forum.
Yacine

Thomas Winkel

Thanks for your comments :)

...but they're 1:1
Feel free to adapt it to your needs.
Years ago we discussed internal what scaling to choose in our project.
1:1 requires to set the drawing scale appropriate for each page.
Finally we decided to scale our mechanic shapes and let the pages 1:1.
Main reasons were:
* Easier for the user
* Possibility to mix different scalings on the same page (e.g. schematics and mechanics)

but in the end - no one see the DIN-rail after devices are shapped in  :) :(
So true, for that reason it wasn't worth the effort... :-\

Attached another experiment using custom dash type.

Greetings from Paderborn

zhuravsky

Thomas Winkel

Ah, using fill pattern, nice.
Behaves better than the dash type variant.
And much easier / faster to implement as formulas in the geometry section.
Thanks for sharing.

zhuravsky

If somebody needs I had somewhere also some shapes for Rittal, made with custom fill patterns. Let me know...

Mouthpear

Quote from: Thomas Winkel on February 22, 2024, 12:43:46 PM

Attached another experiment using custom dash type.

Greetings from Paderborn

Are the DIN Rail components, like the terminal blocks and fuse holders, part of a library that is downloadable or are they your own personal created shapes?

If they are a library, where can the be found/downloaded?
If they are your own personal creations, will you be willing to share?

Thanx.

hidden layer

Hi,
I made them (#2) for my personal purpose.
maybe I made the "mistake" to locate the connection point to the position where the terminals are latching on the top of the DIN-rail...the middle would be easier to maintain for the rails presented here.
Feel free to download, modify and improve them. After that we'd like if you share them with us ;)
I guess Thomas' shapes are made to support a company-workflow with ability to create lists etc. not sure if he'd share it...but in this forum there are some very interesting discussions about how to create wire (or terminal) lists. I hadn't the time or necessity to adapt one because for this I have E-PLAN.

cheers!

Mouthpear

Quote from: hidden layer on March 12, 2024, 09:18:37 AM
Hi,
I made them (#2) for my personal purpose.
maybe I made the "mistake" to locate the connection point to the position where the terminals are latching on the top of the DIN-rail...the middle would be easier to maintain for the rails presented here.
Feel free to download, modify and improve them. After that we'd like if you share them with us ;)
I guess Thomas' shapes are made to support a company-workflow with ability to create lists etc. not sure if he'd share it...but in this forum there are some very interesting discussions about how to create wire (or terminal) lists. I hadn't the time or necessity to adapt one because for this I have E-PLAN.

cheers!

Thank you. Speaking to Thomas Winkel. I make my own connection/terminal blocks (IMAGE #2) but the ones he is using just blow mine away. IMAGE #1

However I am actually very glad that you responded. I wanted to thank you for putting out the idea to use it as a fill pattern. It works great. IMAGE #2 Before that I was using a single shape (single 25mm section with one slot) with connection points. Then dropping how ever many more needed, then linking them all together, then grouping them all. TOO MUCH TIME AND EFFORT. Using the fill pattern does away with all that. TY

Still I did not like the lines that show up at every tile of the pattern. IMAGE #6     I wish MS would fix that. The workaround is to make the page of the fill pattern the same as the pattern itself. IMAGE #3, Then extend the pattern just past the width. IMAGES #4,5.  Hides the lines. IMAGE #7

Mouthpear

Sorry for all the replies. Don't know how to show all the pix at once.

Mouthpear

Quote from: Mouthpear on March 12, 2024, 10:52:29 AM

Images 4 & 5 shows, the pattern template, just below and out of alignment with the page. This is to show that the pattern template extends past the page and that is the key to having a tiny bit of overlap to cover the pesky line.

Mouthpear

Quote from: Mouthpear on March 12, 2024, 10:52:29 AM

Thomas Winkel

Are the DIN Rail components, like the terminal blocks and fuse holders, part of a library that is downloadable or are they your own personal created shapes?
These shapes are part of our Visio based ECAD tool.
I cannot publish them now.
Maybe I will publish some demo shapes later this year together with the software.

I think your shapes are very convenient.
Are the cables hand drawn with connection points at the shapes?
We don't have any support for cables in mechanic view, only in schematic view. But I like the idea.