Shape Data Sets

Started by dmd6x, February 02, 2024, 11:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmd6x

Hi-

I'm on Visio Professional 2019.  Working on Shape Data, specifically employee info for an org chart.  I want my Shape Data Fields to display in a particular order, and not all shapes have the same data fields.  When I go to add a data field to a particular shape's list of shape data, selecting it from a pre-defined Shape Data Set, I select the shape, right click in the shape data window, choose "Shape Data Sets", choose the desired shape data set (check the box), choose apply checked shape data sets to: "Shapes selected in drawing", and I UNcheck "Remove existing data sets" (because I'm trying to add this data set to the existing list of shape data fields).  When I click "apply", a new data field is added to the Shape Data Window, but it does not retain the parameters defined in the "Shape Data Sets" window, where I input the data set parameters.  For example, the data field added is called "Row_17", and the default value is "0", not "Project Team" with a fixed list. 

Is this a known bug?  Any known workarounds?  Thanks in advance!

Nikolay

The order of fields is defined by the "sort key" attribute.
You can set that attribute to some specific value if you want to have a specific field order, and then apply that to your shapes (using the data sets for example).