Changing data graphics width to be less than the shape itself

Started by Visisthebest, November 04, 2023, 08:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

When I apply data graphics like data bars or text, the data graphics are typically the width of the shape with no border margin.

I would like to make them a little less wide, to add a 2mm margin so I can add a border around the data graphics (I place them below the shape).

The shapesheet section of a data graphics subshape is impressively complex with lots of user cells and formulas I must say.

What is the most sensible and straightforward way to set data graphics width to be less wide than the shape itself, to be able to add some margin around it?

Thank you for sharing your insights!
Visio 2021 Professional

wapperdude

I've not really done much with data graphics.   ???    Could you upload a sample shape, for convenience and to insure on same page?
Visio 2019 Pro

Visisthebest

Thank you Wapperdude, I have made a new data graphics example (could not use customer data so using some made up data).

In the Visio file the problem will be evident immediately, the margins are too small the data graphics are too wide.

How to structurally set margins for all data graphics I use is the challenge (I want to change the data graphics, keep the shape the same if possible), more white space between the shape's border and the data graphics looks much nicer.
Visio 2021 Professional

wapperdude

UGH!    >:(   Not very user friendly to accommodate such a reasonable setting.

In shapesheet of each data graphic shape there are ways to control this.  It is painful, because there is no mechanism to make a global change.  So, the controlling settings seem to be:
1) Width.  The width is controlled by 1 long, cascade of IF's.  Yuck.  But, you could just put a multiplier, e.g., 0.9, times the full IF function. 

But, a better method might be to enter a value in the Prop.msvCalloutPropWidth value cell.  For your example, 2.35 seems reasonable. 

Another shapesheet entry is the User.CalloutMargin.  There is a multiplier at the front of the entry.  Increase that, to say, 1.0.  This does not impact the overall width like the two previous options do, but it does impact the look.
Visio 2019 Pro

Visisthebest

Thank you Wapperdude good to have some options, yes I am not a Visio expert and these formulas are pretty intimidating hard to know where to start.

I will let you know how I get on with this.
Visio 2021 Professional

Nikolay

You can try setting the width of the callout field. I tried setting Width=200% it seems to look better:
BTW not sure why you are using the "Text3" it has this line on the left, if you go with "Text1" but filled it could be better.

wapperdude

@Nikolay:  how did you bring up that display showing Details?  I can't seem to find it.
Visio 2019 Pro

Visisthebest

Thank you Nikolay I let Visio set the data graphics automatically for this example for Wapperdude no specific reason for a setting.

I also have a problem of data graphics being hidden behind group shapes, any setting on the data graphics I can use to force them to be on top when I drop one of them on a shape in the UI?

This seems to be an oversight by Microsoft, it never makes sense for data graphics to be hidden behind a shape (as far as I can think of a use case).
Visio 2021 Professional

Nikolay

@wapperdude, you need to click the "Edit Item..." button on the toolbar to get to the details

@Visisthebest
I have never experienced this behavior, so can't tell what could be the reason actually :|

wapperdude

Ah.  Got it.

Note, the Callout width defaults to inches (Visio internal).  For metric, specify mm or whatever. 
Visio 2019 Pro

Visisthebest

Setting Callout Width in the UI works well thank you, I just set it in millimeters does exactly what I was looking for!
Visio 2021 Professional