Print preview is fine but printed output is missing some lines

Started by foxpertise, September 21, 2023, 12:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxpertise

I have a simple drawing which includes a ruler constructed using a horizontal line with short vertical lines for the subdivisions/tick marks. There are also text boxes at intervals showing the distance along the "ruler". Print preview shows everything correctly but the printed output is missing the horizontal and vertical lines - the measurement text boxes are printed.  Visio 2016.

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

foxpertise

Thanks for your suggestion, I hadn't thought of that - and it works perfectly BUT it is just a workaround and doesn't explain why Visio doesn't print correctly.

wapperdude

What is the line weight of your ruler?

Does Visio always fail to print, or is it just this shape?
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

@wapperdude, it is easy to reproduce this - open the file, click "Print", then select "Print to PDF" in Visio. No lines.
If you use "Export To PDF" (save as), like Paul suggested, the lines are fine.

Overall, looks like a bug.

wapperdude

I thought it unlikely that such a bug should exist.  Really???  It would of shown up by now.

So, believing in Visio at this point, here's what I found...an apparent issue with the file.

First, I took file as is, printed, and replicated the problem.
Then, I ungrouped that main group so I could access just the ruler shape. 
  >> Duplicated it, and placed in new location.
  >> made 2nd duplication, bumped up the line wt to 1 pt.
  >> made 3rd duplication, but rotated
  >> made 4th duplication, but lowered the line wt to 1/2 pt.

Printed.  Only the 1 pt ruler printed.

Next, copied all, and pasted into a new file, US Units.  Everything printed.  So, is this a metric issue?  Don't believe so...

This time, created new metric based file, pasted all, printed.  Everything printed fine.  QED

Thus, there is either a corruption in the original file, or a setting, that is the problem. 

Have not investigated further.  Have things to do, so will be awhile before I look into this.  Feel free to jump in.

Visio 2019 Pro

foxpertise

Quote from: wapperdude on September 21, 2023, 03:36:06 PM
Have not investigated further.  Have things to do, so will be awhile before I look into this.  Feel free to jump in.
Wow, that's quite a bit of investigative work already! If you do manage to look into it further, as and when/if you have time, it will be interesting to see what conclusions you arrive at.  Many thanks.

Nikolay

I think it is more to Microsoft developers to investigate such things... This one has clear steps to reproduce.
Of course, it can be worked around, and of course, it's this specific file that is not printed properly.
But that's not the point.

Surrogate

Quote from: Nikolay on September 21, 2023, 03:57:27 PM
I think it is more to Microsoft developers to investigate such things...
Developers are now developing only the cloud product. The desktop version has been relegated to the background...

wapperdude

Had a cancellation, thus some free time.

I think I have a "learned cynisim" regarding Visio development.  I don't believe that developers actually heed what's happening wrt to forum.  As I view the evolution from V2007 to V2019, there is very little to suggest that any attention has been paid to fixing bugs and issuance of bug fixes.  It ain't going to happen.  So, I think we do as much as we can.  Granted, we're all volunteers and have other priorities which limits the amount of time we can devote.  It certainly limits what we can do on a practical level as we don't have any access to developers.  Plujs, I don't believe developers would spend time on a likely user level file corruption.

I am convinced this is a file corruption issue.  The cause of this I can't even guess.  But, I was able to narrow it down to  linear 1D shape, whether it's made by line tool or pencil.  It doesn't seem to print below 1 pt line weight.  Circles are fine. Connectors are fine.  Freeform lines are OK.

Glancing thru shapesheet did not reveal any unusual setting that caught my eye.  Certainly nothing of such a specific, unique characteristic.

All I can suggest is do copy all, then create new Visio drawing, paste, and verify all is well.  Worked at this end.
Visio 2019 Pro