Reading Data from shapes and converting to Totals

Started by SuperClock, August 02, 2023, 10:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperClock

Hi All,

I'm unsure if anyone will be able to help me with this - I've spent a fair amount of time searching back to see if there is a solution that I could use to help me, but I'm left stumped. As a fairly new user to Visio (for work), I'm glad to see that VBA is quite accessible and extensive in its application in Visio - I mostly have experience only in Excel. I hope to put in a fair amount of time learning Visio moving forward.

On topic: We have an Org Chart that is updated weekly - in our organization there is a significant amount of staff movement between our various sites, filling in temp roles/secondments etc.

Our Org chart has simple data, with a full name, position ID & position title. Our management currently hand-count the position titles and manually enter the totals for each (approximately 8 different titles, say Job1, Job2 - Job8). Our Org Chart data is not drawn from any other file, simply just created by a previous manager, and has continued to be updated manually by new management - this can be tedious for them when we get a large number of new recruits. I have mentioned that we could transfer data from Excel to create an org chart in Visio, and that would essentially give me & them far more control to access any information needed, however they are unwilling to allow me the time to do this, at this stage.

I am wondering if it is possible to have a macro that reads the entire Visio sheet for specified text values (position titles), and then can relay the total tally of each position title into a shape (Eg, Job1 = 20, Job2 = 35, Job3 = 10).

If anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated  ;D

If this is not possible, then I will quietly work on an excel sheet in the background and create a Visio chart from that data, which would then allow me the ability to achieve this & more.

Thank you!!

Thomas Winkel

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to have a macro that reads the entire Visio sheet for specified text values (position titles), and then can relay the total tally of each position title into a shape (Eg, Job1 = 20, Job2 = 35, Job3 = 10).

This is easy with VBA.
But this could also be done without code by a "Shape Report".
If you attach an example document I will demonstrate that.

This topic could be helpful:
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=7659.msg45678

Btw.
I bet there must be several Excel to Visio Org Chart solutions available in this forum.
Also have a look at Visios "External Data" Feature.

Nikolay

I would say Visio org chart is designed to be generated once and then updated manually.
Some things are just OK to be done manually, so I would leave it as is.
Automatic update of Visio Org Chart from Excel just does not worth it.

Regarding the summary report - it is right out of the box, like Thomas wrote.
You can find it under "Review" tab, "Shape Reports" button, select "Count Positions" report.