Right-click on a Visio shape does not always lead to the selection of the shape

Started by Visisthebest, July 28, 2023, 10:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

For a Visio programmed solution (in a .NET VSTO add-in), I use the right-click action menu on shapes very often to add functionality to shapes.

In most situations, a right-click leads to a selection of a shape, which means I know which shape fired off the action menu item from the selection. (the menu item fires off a marker event).

However, sometimes when shapes are next to each other horizontally the following happens:

1. I select a shape in a flowchart of horizontally selected shapes (with the same master as a parent, and same right-click action menu).

2. I right-click on the shape to the left of this shape.

3. The action menu shows up fine, but the shape is not selected.

If I use the menu item, it is applied the the shape still selected and NOT the shape I right-clicked on.

Has someone else run in to this Visio behavior and does someone have an idea to handle it?

Preferably a right-click just always should lead to the selection of the shape.

Thank you for sharing your Visio insights and knowledge!
Visio 2021 Professional

wapperdude

Are these shapes filled or not?  Non-filled shapes are more difficult for Visio to identify and select with a single mouse click.
Visio 2019 Pro

Visisthebest

The shape is a plus (+) sign-like and the + symbol is filled.

If I click in the empty area around the plus, no shape menu shows up.

It is actually clicking in the filled + area on the shape to the left that causes the menu to show up, while NOT selecting the shape I just right-clicked on.

I hope someone knows a solution or workaround for this.
Visio 2021 Professional

wapperdude

How  about uploading simple case so we can experience what you're working with?
Visio 2019 Pro

Visisthebest

I would like to but this is owned by the customer, I will try to make a generic example demonstrating the specific problem.
Visio 2021 Professional