How to keep fragment from deleting shapes?

Started by Jennifer, May 21, 2023, 11:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

In my "puzzle project", I end up with a bunch of shapes that I carefully traced with the Pencil tool. I do not want to lose them.

I use them to make "holes" in a "mask" shape that I place over the puzzle image. It blocks all of the puzzle except for the pieces I traced. To make the mask, I place a rectangle shape the same size as the puzzle, add the traced shapes, and fragment. I have assigned the traced shapes to a layer, but fragment deletes the shapes.

I want to keep them in case I need to make some changes. Do I need to make a copy of these shapes befofre I fragment? Is there a better way?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Considering the amount of work involved, the safest way is to create a back up file.  That covers a multitude of issues.

In addition, in your working file, perhaps the easiest way is to duplicate the page that these shapes are on, and then convert it to a background page.  That would protect it from accidental editing.  Probably this would be part of the back up file...or not.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on May 22, 2023, 02:00:35 AM
Considering the amount of work involved, the safest way is to create a back up file.  That covers a multitude of issues.
I have tons of backup files.

QuoteIn addition, in your working file, perhaps the easiest way is to duplicate the page that these shapes are on, and then convert it to a background page.  That would protect it from accidental editing.  Probably this would be part of the back up file...or not.
That's an interesting idea, thanks.

So there is no way to do a fragment operation that does not destroy the shapes involved, right?

wapperdude

If I understand correctly, the fragmenting ought to preserve the shapes.  If you want, upload a simple example to be sure that we're on the same page.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

I think we are both right. Fragment does destroy the component shapes. It then makes new ones in accordance with the fragment rules. If the shapes do not overlap, then the new shapes will be the exact same shape as the originals. The fill and other properties will probably change. Any shapes that overlap are lost.

In the attached file, Page 1 contains a rectangle with 4 shapes inside. Two of them overlap. The 4 smaller shapes have been assigned to a Shapes layer. I then made a copy on Page 2. There I selected everything and did a Fragment. It looks like the two shapes that did not overlap are still there, well, there replacements are there, but with a different fill. The two that overlap are completely lost. The Shapes layer is still there, but does not contain any shapes. I think that pretty much proves that the original shapes are destroyed.

It looks like Fragment destroys all of the component shapes.

I also tried setting all of the protections for a shape. Fragment does not respect the protections. That shape was destroyed just like any of the others.

Thinking about it, it makes sense. If I combine two shapes, they are lost. I do think it ought to respect the Protection settings.

I guess I could save them as Master shapes. Is that the right term? Then just that instance would be destroyed. If I get a minute, I'll test that.

wapperdude

Yes.  If they overlap, their individuality is then lost.

Yes.  Saving the shapes to stem IL as masters ought to work.  Will look at your upload later tomorrow.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

...so, yes, we're on same page re Visio fragmenting behavior.

Regarding respecting the protection, that would be difficult.  Not impossible.  But, it would be involved.

Consider your example.  For starters, duplicate Page-1.  Creates Page-3 which will be our working page.  Select all shapes except the triangle, and then fragment.  The triangle gets hidden behind the results, and needs to be brought to the front.  Now select it and the "main" rectangle shape only.  Fragment.  The triangle still gets cut into.  So, select just the 2 pieces and then do Union to transform back to single, lg, original triangle.  Viola!  The large rectangle is now a "mask", and ALL of the smaller shapes are themselves.  Humpty Dumpty should be so fortunate.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on May 22, 2023, 03:57:37 PM
...so, yes, we're on same page re Visio fragmenting behavior.
Good!

QuoteRegarding respecting the protection, that would be difficult.  Not impossible.  But, it would be involved.
That is how it should behave, IMNSHO.

QuoteHumpty Dumpty should be so fortunate.
😅

After some fiddling around, I was able to get my "mask" method to work. What do you think?

The 3 silhouettes in the upper right corner are a rebus. Those 3 images form, more or less, a sentence or saying. Can you figure this one out? It goes right to left as indicated by the numbers.

We cannot figure out what the one just to the right of the clown is.

Any ideas?