Rand function not functioning

Started by Yacine, May 12, 2023, 01:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yacine

Visio® Plan 2 MSO (Version 2208 Build 16.0.15601.20526) 32 Bit here.
The rand function in the shapesheets seem have stopped working. Always returning 0.
Could some one out there check it?
Yacine

Surrogate

We had a similar topic in January: Rand() function.

On my side (Win10 64bit/Visio 2019 Professional 64bit) this function still works....

Yacine

Thank you, pity there is no solution.
Yacine

wapperdude

I have same probolem...Microsoft® Visio® 2019 MSO (Version 2304 Build 16.0.16327.20200) 64-bit ; Win11
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

The bummer is, M$  broke this function, but will probably not ever fix their error.  Would "seem" to take a small update..especially with their single minded focus on subscription based products.  Doesn't seem honorable.

There is VBA function, but that is not nearly as nice, clean.  Plus a lot of retro work to fix designs that once called it.
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

Quote from: wapperdude on May 13, 2023, 02:33:55 PM
M$  broke this function, but will probably not ever fix their error. 
The problem was discovered almost half a year ago. Subscription users have a feedback option.

I don't think a significant number of users have reported the problem! ShapeSheet is used by less than 1% of all users.

@Yacine:  did you report the problem?

wapperdude

I think owners of non-subscription versions can send feedback to M$.  Open the File tab and there's entry for feedback.  Seems to work.

Also, there is this link:  https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/

Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

So until M$ repairs it here is a random number generator for the shapesheet, inspired by this site: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/random-number-generator/

Here I used the position of the shape to trigger the generator. You are free to chose another trigger - eg a counter

You may not want to rewrite all the formulas each time to use. Make it a subshape of a group, hide it and refer to it as "mySubshape!user.rand".
----
Sacrificing dedicated user cells for the parameters a,b and m and writing the end result in the formula cell itself, you can reduce the generator to 3 lines as shown in the second attached picture.
Yacine

Yacine

Yacine

hidden layer

this version works well:
Visio 2016 MSO (16.0.4266.1001) 64-Bit.
This one doesn't:
Plan2 MSO (Version 2303 Build 16.0.16227.20202) 64-Bit

never used it ;)

Surrogate

Quote from: wapperdude on May 13, 2023, 03:56:00 PMI think owners of non-subscription versions can send feedback to M$.
Of course, for subscription users send feedback more easy :)
Quote from: Surrogate on June 02, 2022, 03:42:02 PMI know few ways:
1. feedbackportal.microsoft.com,  there you can leave your wishes and suggestions. if your appeal is supported by many users - MS [probably] will try to implement it.
2. In the Visio team's blog entries, they indicate the e-mail: tellvisio@microsoft.com.
3. If you use Visio Plan 2, in the interface you can find a button with a smile to send your message: sad smiley - report a problem
I hope at least one of these ways to communicate with the development team works...
Quote from: Yacine on May 13, 2023, 09:14:08 PMHere I used the position of the shape to trigger the generator.
I don't quite understand: how does it work ?

Yacine

(+dependson(pinx,piny) ;) )
Yacine