Pro 2019 Freezing on zoom

Started by ToninoS, May 08, 2023, 08:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToninoS

Good day all!   Hope someone has some help for me :)   I am using Professional 2019 and as of today i am having an issue whereby when i zoom in visio freezes for some durration of its choosing, 10 seconds to indefinately, and sometimes it also locks up other open programs or windows alltogether for a while.  I have restarte the PC and tried different drawings, some blank, and it just keeps happening!   I am stuck trying to get work done performing one small thing at a time and saving, restarting, saving, restarting and it is really anoying me now lol   any ideas?   Cheers all!

wapperdude

Have you tried a different file?

Were there any updates just prior to this happening? 
Any new app downloads?

Possibility that Visio became corrupted and needs reinstall.
Visio 2019 Pro

ToninoS

everyones visio in my place of work is screwed... any zooming sends cpu usage through the roof and yes... it was after auto update.... i know what i am turing off when i get it working again... will search if there is a roll back function

ToninoS

OK, so i found this comment online and it seems to have done the trick allthough i id not delete the reg entry but rather renamed it as it is quite a big entry and did not know if i would need it again.   

'I found a solution in another thread
You need to close Visio then delete registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Office \ 16.0 \ Common \ ExperimentConfigs \ Ecs \ visio \ ConfigContextData
This will activate the hardware graphics acceleration option (you can check in advanced options)'

also on the same page there was a link to instructions on how to rollback but i tried it 3 times and office would just always stay on the most current so dont know if i was doing something wrong.. here is that page: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/visio-freezes-crashes-when-scrolling-or-zooming/56f07ce8-c818-45ce-8124-fcf1b1d2c0f7?page=1

Surrogate

Quote from: ToninoS on May 10, 2023, 06:30:08 AMI found a solution in another thread
You need to close Visio then delete registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Office \ 16.0 \ Common \ ExperimentConfigs \ Ecs \ visio \ ConfigContextDataThis will activate the hardware graphics acceleration option (you can check in advanced options)
I have Professional 2019 Pro (Win10). And I cant find this registry key...
Please describe in detail your configuration in which you encountered this problem...
OS (32 or 64bit)/ MS Visio version&build ?
Is your documents contain custom fill or line patterns?

ToninoS

Hi Surrogate,
Windows 10 Pro, Visio 2019 and 2021 on two different PCs   and a 3rd Visio 2019 on a coworkers Windows 11 PC.   we all have version 2304 (Build 16327.20248).   so any time i would scroll in almost to maximum zoom thats it... Visio became unresponsive, PC CPU and memory went through the roof locking up other programs/windows and sometimes would come back after 15-20 seconds and other times had to wait a couple minutes before i could force visio shut.   We both had these reg keys :  Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs\Ecs\visio\ConfigContextData     and all we did is change the ConfigContextData to Donotuse ConfigContextData and our issue went away just like that...    all systems are 64bit     and while all my drawings do contain custom fills and line patterns even opening up a new drawing and zooming in caused the issue.

ToninoS

as an update the reg key came back and now it is locking up again!

ToninoS

OK, so today i am going to disable live dynamics and see if it freezes up again.  If it does then i am going to write a batch file to automatically delete the registry entry every 30 minutes. I will let you all know how it goes.

wapperdude

The thread you provided was quite lengthy.  The gist was update 2304.  Further on there's this link, with note that it IMPACT all of office, not just Visio.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a917-d57e-35a1-f709e3dda841

This is just FYI, not endorsement nor recommendation.
Visio 2019 Pro