How to avoid extra white border

Started by Jennifer, April 19, 2023, 03:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I am trying to create a poster. I have a background image and am placing text on it. But if I place the text boxes too close to the edge, when I copy it to make a jpg, Visio adds a white border.

If I place text like this:

I get this:

In order to avoid the extra white border, I have to move the text away from the edge, like this:

Then I get this:

I have attached the Visio file.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Dang. I was sure I had attached it. I'll try again.

wapperdude

I vaguely remember this problem (not the forgetting attachment  ;) ), going back to V2010.  But I couldn't find any reference to it.

Played around with various Save As formats.  The standard bitmap files, e.g., bmp, png, have the problem, but formats like pdf, svg, do not. 

The issue is, as I recall, has to do with the selection box and how it is handled.  I tried playing with NoAlignmentBox in the shapesheet Misc section.  Might have had some minor improvement.

The work-around is take the BMP file, insert it into either Visio or some photo-editor, crop out the white, resize, and then re-save.
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

I tried to play with the idea that Visio would only consider the size of the shape itself, but not the size and position of the text frame.
So I played with the text transform section. Added a control point and let the text box follow it.
Moved the text shape far away from the borders and the text box via the control point near the borders.
No luck.
Wayne's conclusion is probably the best you can get - edit the exported jpeg with an appropriate tool.
BTW, irfanview an the like can crop automatically white borders (or any other plain color).
Yacine

Jennifer

Thanks to both of you. I did as you suggest with Irfanview.