overlap printing in margins -- how to prevent?

Started by psmith, March 29, 2023, 10:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psmith

I have a long, top to bottom flowchart. I want to print it on MULTIPLE SHEETS of 8.5x14 paper.

The page breaks are right where I want them.

HOWEVER, Visio prints all the way to the edge of the paper. Moreover, the parts of the diagram nearest to the page break print print on BOTH PAGES. This is NOT what I want.

You can see from the clip: there is a yellow diamond shape with the label "accelerated case?". The diamond is BELOW the page break. Therefore, it should print at the TOP of PAGE TWO. Instead, it is printing at the BOTTOM of PAGE ONE AND the TOP of PAGE TWO.

I can see how printing the overlap might be useful for some use cases. But I am trying to print an instruction manual on 8.5 by 14, with nice clean (blank) 1" margins all the way around. How do I prevent Visio from printing on the margins??

Yacine

I do split my drawings over several pages too, but I place my shapes freely, making sure to consider the page margins.
Your drawing looks like you're using an add-in that places automatically the shapes. I wonder if you can move them manually to accommodate for the margins? Visio would still print too much, but this wouldn't matter because only the connectors would be elongated.
Yacine

psmith

It sounds like there is no way to NOT print on the margins. I saw a few other posts on this forum going back a decade, but none had answers. I suppose I will have to manually split my workflow into eleven different pages. It's a shame!

Paul Herber

I never noticed this problem before, but I had physical margins set on the paper settings. Are you sure your margins aren't set to 0?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Surrogate

@psmith, do you want to automatically split your diagram into sheets that can be printed on paper size (8.5 by 14) so you can glue that paper together?

psmith

The margins are set at 0.6 inches in [Page Setup] / [Print Setup]. As an experiment, I set the margins to 2.0 inches. The result is attached. You can see that the effect of increasing the margins is to increase the amount of repeated overlapped printing.

It seems that setting the margins has no effect in Visio (except to set bounds for the area where the gridlines appear).

psmith

@Surrogate, I am not trying to glue pages together (although Visio seems to assume that this is the case). I am trying to put the workflow in a binder. In the context of a binder, printing all the way to the edge of the paper will look unprofessional. Also, the repeated portions at top and bottom will be confusing.

Surrogate

Quote from: psmith on March 30, 2023, 02:07:47 PMIn the context of a binder, printing all the way to the edge of the paper will look unprofessional.
Sorry, I am not Professional! And I can't understand where difference ?
I don't know if there are many experts among forum users who understand what your scheme is about?

wapperdude

The problem is, actually, a known issue.  It occurs when Visio is allowed to automatically to expand the pages when a shape hits the border.  It causes a new page to appear and to seemlessly be placed next to the preceding page.  But, this does not correspond to real printed pages.  I believe Visio Guy had an article discussing this when this feature was first introduced, V2010, I believe.  The solution to prevent this shape splitting is to place the shape beyond the border of the new page.  In effect, per Yacine's reply.  Shape's in the border region between adjacent pages are treated unpredictably.
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

That's why I've never seen it. I always turn off auto page expansion whenever I create a new doc.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Surrogate

Quote from: Paul Herber on March 30, 2023, 03:33:45 PM
That's why I've never seen it. I always turn off auto page expansion whenever I create a new doc.
I same turn off this option for all new documents, with other reasons.
But i want to know how looks like 'professional edge of the paper' ?

wapperdude

The other problem deals with page numbering.  Lets say your document has two Pages.  But, because of drawing size ,page 1 is auto-expanded to 4 pages.  Thus, when printing the document, you get 5 printed sheets, but only two numbered pages.  Now that's fun...expecially for a Table of Contents.
Visio 2019 Pro

psmith

Thanks to all... it's too bad that such a simple feature is missing, but at least I now know that it is a known issue. I can stop trying to fix something that is not fixable.

@Surrogate, if you open a book, the edges of the pages are white space. That is all I am trying to accomplish when I print a multi-page workflow. White spaces at the margins of the printed page.

Surrogate

Quote from: psmith on March 30, 2023, 03:55:44 PM
Thanks to all... it's too bad that such a simple feature is missing, but at least I now know that it is a known issue. I can stop trying to fix something that is not fixable.

@Surrogate, if you open a book, the edges of the pages are white space. That is all I am trying to accomplish when I print a multi-page workflow. White spaces at the margins of the printed page.
Books not looks like long wide flowcharts! Pages have some limitations, for applications like MS Word not so complex divide document per pages...

wapperdude

@psimth:  Just to be clear...the expanding pages were meant to be more like large folding pages in a document.  Not the best implementation of this unfortunately.  To make the best of it, only allow straight lines across the border; keep 2D shapes out of the border regions.  If you want truly white regions and individual pages, then turn off the auto expanding featre and do a more manual page approach. 
Visio 2019 Pro