Milestones/Intervals - Description below to above date

Started by a.d.a.m, March 02, 2023, 10:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a.d.a.m

Hello everyone

I urgently need your help. I work with MS Visio Professional 2016 to create project timelines. I work almost exclusively with Timeline Shapes.
Standard Visio setting for milestones and intervals places a date (or a range of dates) above the description i.e. standard setting is: "Description Placement Below Date".

Position of the Description can be changed manually for each individual milestone/interval to "Description Placement Above Date".

Question:
1. How to make "Description Placement Above Date" as a standard setting for any new milestone/interval?
2. How to make bulk change (a change applied to many milestones/intervals at the same time) from "Description Placement Below Date"  to "Description Placement Above Date" ?

I'm not a technical person so simple, step-by-step procedure would be very welcome.

a.d.a.m

I have received no response to my question. Is that because the question was not clearly formulated, or because no one knows the solution?

Surrogate

Quote from: a.d.a.m on April 21, 2023, 09:39:11 AM
Is that because the question was not clearly formulated, or because no one knows the solution?
Sorry! I don't know anything about milestones/intervals...

wapperdude

Quote1. How to make "Description Placement Above Date" as a standard setting for any new milestone/interval?
I don't believe there is a mechanism to change the default stting.  But, you can create a custom stencil and add your modified timeline shape(s) to it.  Then, these new defaults are available for dragon drop.

Quote2. How to make bulk change (a change applied to many milestones/intervals at the same time) from "Description Placement Below Date"  to "Description Placement Above Date" ?
The most effective way is to open the Document Stencil and edit the masters.  These changes will flush thru to all shapes that reference them.  The next method is writing a small macro to loop thru the shapes on the page and change settings.  But try the Doc When method 1st.
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Find the actual stencil on your computer and make a copy of it.
Create a new timeline drawing. The stencil will open automatically.
Edit the master "2 triangle milestone".
Make sure you're in developer mode (Google it, if you don't know how).
Open the shapesheet of the master.
Set the cell "User.visDescriptionPosition" to 0.
Save.
Yacine