Visio hangs for 20s+ when clicking file menu for first time in doc???

Started by JeffB, March 01, 2023, 03:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffB

Hi, I have a bit of an odd issue that I've put up with now for several months. First off I'm using visio plan 2 so is latest version. What happens is when I try to open the file menu for the first time in a document visio will hang for 20 seconds or more. But then after that it's fine, can open file menu no problem. It only happens the first time.

For example, I'll open my template doc and start working (add pics, text, lines, etc). Periodically save the doc. Then when I click 'file' to export as pdf it will hang for ages. Doesn't crash or cause a problem, just hangs for at least 20 seconds. Once File menu opens everything is fine. Can export, etc. And then if i change something on the doc and go to file again there's no hanging. If I close the doc and open again it will hang the same way for the first time opening the file menu. So it is literally just the first time use of the file menu. Happens the same with blank docs as well.

Any ideas what this could be?

vojo

known problem....some NASA rocket scientist at Microsoft decided to change the way EMF images are processed.
Personally, there are two possible fixes
1) disable EMF prcoessing in the setup configs (options ==> advnced option==> display ==> disable enhanced Meta files
2) grow your page cache on the platform significantly (mine is set to 16GB on a laptop with 32GB)

Either still takes a long time to initialize (30 second or more) but at least it does not out n out hang

vojo

if MS really wanted to change EMF processing to the point of sizable time delay, they should at the very least add a loading progress bar and some sort of status codes if initialization can not be complete.    A decent programmer knows that!!!!

JeffB

Quote from: vojo on March 01, 2023, 06:53:32 PM
known problem....some NASA rocket scientist at Microsoft decided to change the way EMF images are processed.
Personally, there are two possible fixes
1) disable EMF prcoessing in the setup configs (options ==> advnced option==> display ==> disable enhanced Meta files
2) grow your page cache on the platform significantly (mine is set to 16GB on a laptop with 32GB)

Either still takes a long time to initialize (30 second or more) but at least it does not out n out hang

oh wonderful. Great job MS. This delay even happens with a new blank doc. When you say EMF images, what does that refer to?

JeffB

I don't like dragging posts back to life but is there nothing I can do about this? is this really a bug that affects everyone or just specific uses? Is there anything else I can try?

vojo

only 2 solutions I am aware of.

note, if in teams, visio updates happen automatically, so option get set to default.  for that, either
A) disable automatic updates ...in teams, you wont know when visio updates...under the covers.
b) manually check and config the emf "processing" to disable.

vojo

More importantly, MS could not care less about this FUBAR!!!
Bug has been around for a year and Visio is updated monthly in teams