OrgChart trouble

Started by Surrogate, February 15, 2023, 12:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surrogate

Used Visio 2019 Professional
There is an organization chart with about 200 shapes per sheet.
This OrgChart contains external data (currently quite a lot, but some of them are not used) and drawings related to the data.
Visio features are used: such as synchronous copies, and reports.
Sorry, but I can't provide a sample file.

Problem Description
At some point, a certain glitch occurs: an error message appears when selecting shapes and running the OrgChart11 add-on.

At the same time:

• Shapes retain all custom properties (Shape Data);
  • Shapes are no longer org chart shapes (they don't have parent master shapes);
  • Figure data is no longer used as chart fields.

Possible causes of the problem

• Launching the Report Generation add-on;
  • A lot of custom properties.

Please share your experience on how to prevent such problems and / or even defeat them ?

Original post in Russian language (read via Google translate Service)

Paul Herber

Have the master shapes in the Document Stencil been deleted?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Surrogate

No, master shapes still in Document stencil. But their instances in page are replaced to shapes with no parents.

Paul Herber

I think if they are mo longer Org-chart shapes then the org-chart addon has no idea what to do with them - fatal error - halt.
You could try doing a shape replace to restore them as org chart shapes.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Surrogate

Quote from: Paul Herber on February 15, 2023, 04:35:43 PM
I think if they are mo longer Org-chart shapes then the org-chart addon has no idea what to do with them - fatal error - halt.
Sad but true
Quote from: Paul Herber on February 15, 2023, 04:35:43 PM
You could try doing a shape replace to restore them as org chart shapes.
Perhaps this way you can restore the functionality of the add-in in this document...
But the main question is how to avoid this behavior in the future?

Yacine

You mentioned the report addin.
If you can prove that that is the cause, then write your own reporting routine.
Yacine

Surrogate

Quote from: Yacine on February 16, 2023, 12:30:35 PM
You mentioned the report addin.
If you can prove that that is the cause
We don't have 119% proof of this yet...

Croc (a.k.a Tumanov) and Nikolay (a.k.a. nbelyh) are participating in a discussion on our forum. I invite everyone to participate in the discussion on that platform! Without SMS and registration!!!

You can comment in Russian/English/bilingual, I, as an administrator, will add translation if necessary.
You are welcome!!!

Croc

Croc (a.k.a Tumanov) and Nikolay (a.k.a. nbelyh) are participating in a discussion on our forum
No no! I'm not participating, I just made a couple of assumptions. I can't look for bugs without looking and on the phone.

Surrogate

Quote from: Croc on February 16, 2023, 01:35:17 PMI can't look for bugs without looking and on the phone.
Right now you can find there documents "before" and "after"...