TOO MANY TEMPLATES OPENING

Started by alk, November 13, 2022, 08:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alk

Hi, I am still using visio2007, hope someone still remembers how to use it!
When I open a file to work on, it seems 20-30 templates also open in the background, this takes extra time and is annoying, how can I stop it?
See attachment.

Paul Herber

In your Visio settings (can't remember for sure where it is in V2007 - maybe Tools menu) go to Advanced -> File Locations
and check the Start-up location. If there is a path here then Visio will try to open any file that it recognises, templates, document, stencils, executable file, shortcuts  ...
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

alk

Thanks Paul, for the help now and other the past 10 years! I am not sure what these paths do. but I will play around with them. 'this is what I have for Start-up:  E:\Users\User\Documents\- WORK

alk

Nope, it did not work...come to mention it , I have the same problem with my visio2016 as well, where somethimes 50 templaes open, and the package freezes for a long time till everything has finished loading, it would be nice to get rid of the extra templates!

Paul Herber

Unless there is a good reason for a path to be set, it should be empty normally.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

Surrogate

Quote from: alk on November 13, 2022, 08:17:44 PMit seems 20-30 templates also open in the background
It seems dozen stencils are opened !
Hope this macro can helps...

Paul Herber

Give us a list of the names of the opened files.

alk

Here I cleared most of the paths except for my shapes, still the templates are opening.
I 'hide' all the templates away in another folder, I tried zipping the folder, and I tried moving the folder to a different location [My Docs], still all the templates open!
You wanted to know the names of the unwanted stenciles opening: Basic Flow Shapes (metric)1, "2, etc,
Then others I made of my own first mg:1, "2, "3,....."146 etc!
Any extra suggestions?

Surrogate

Quote from: Nikolay on September 23, 2014, 03:07:42 PM
visOpenNoWorkspace
If you dont want use VBA-code, try open your document with this option

alk

Hello Surrogate, I am willing to give VBA a try, but I know nothing on how to use it, please advice step by step.

Surrogate

Sorry, but I haven't a lot time now, for write step-by-step.
Hope this animation can helps...

alk

Thanks Surrogate, but still to complicated for me, my visio2007 does not seem to have the same options as yours. My visio2013 does, but I can't save it something to do with macro free, and I can't find macro enabled.
Is there a way I can move files around, or templated around so that visio won't find them, and thus not open dozens of them. Perhaps it you explained what is happening I can find a solution myself. Where are the files getting the templated to open multiple times?

alk

Surrogate,
Perhaps you can log on and show me?
AnyDesk 699827233

wapperdude

Uninstall / reinstall V2007?

Do you have 2 versions of Visio loaded on your PC?
Visio 2019 Pro

alk

Hello Wapperdude,
Yes, I have 2007 and 2013. I generally work in 2007 (I like floating toolbars, and open vsdx from cliens in 2013).
What is happening, where are the files I open getting the templates from?
I am nervous to uninstall, and I can't image why it should remove the problem.