How to force connector lines to always go vertically and horizontally.

Started by CookieEater200, November 12, 2022, 10:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CookieEater200

Hello,
I set up my connector wires to make right angle connections in Design->Connectors->right angle. I like them to always go horizontally and vertically. Usually, it does that as expected.

Sometimes, the connector lines are still right angle to each other, but they are not horizontal and vertical. Is there a way to force them to be always vertical and horizontal? I tend to group objects together and add connector points to attach to the connector lines. Does that make a difference?

Thanks

wapperdude

Can you provide an example?

Have you tried selecting the connector, right clicking, then select straight, and then deselect right angle?  The straight will force Visio to remove any turns.  Clearing the slate as it were.  The 2nd step tells Visio that there really should be right angle turns only.

Note, if there is only a slight jog, limited video resolution may prevent the appearance of right angle structure.
Visio 2019 Pro

CookieEater200

>Can you provide an example?
I am having trouble pasting a picture here.
See it over here

https://imgur.com/a/rWNuUsF

>Have you tried selecting the connector, right clicking, then select straight, and then deselect right angle? 
That does not help. When I put straight, it converts to a strainht source to target line. After when I go back to right angle it does it again.

wapperdude

That doesn't look right.  Is this a case where you did grouping / add connection points?  Did you do anything else like flipping the group?  Really need a Visio file to understand what you did.  Seems like there may be multiple issues.
Visio 2019 Pro

CookieEater200

I added connection points. Those are two rectangle that I took from the basic shapes. In my file at other places, I did make groupings. There are no groupings on those rectangles.

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

After lchecking out the image that you linked to, it occurs to me that the behavior of the "connector" is more like the behavior of a normal line that had nodes added to it.

I could create similar appearance by starting with a straight connector that is not vertical nor horizontal, then using pointer tool and shift key, was able to add a "jog" to the connecctor.  Looks like your image.  But, then, changing from "straight" to right angle for the connector property, resets to normal right angle, vertical/horizontal shape.   Reseting back to straight reproduces a straight connector.  Further, with the jogged shape, moving a rectangle distorts the connector.  Only with a normal line can the indicated behavior be created.  However, right clicking the line shape doesnot allow for right angle nor straight options.

Need your visio file
Visio 2019 Pro