Can I draw a curved line and see the length?

Started by Jennifer, November 12, 2022, 09:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

Is there a way to draw a curved line (arc, pencil, freeform) and then add a field that will show the length if it were straightened out?

I tried all three, but the length field is the length of the rectangle enclosing the string.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on November 12, 2022, 09:51:51 PM
Assuming you have V2010 or newer, there is pathlength shapesheet function.  See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/client-developer/visio/pathlength-function

I have updated my signature to show that I have Visio 2019.

I opened the shapesheet for the 3 curvy lines that I drew, but there was no Path field in the Geometry 1 section.

Undaunted, I added a field to each shape and entered this custom formula "=PATHLENGTH(Geometry1.Path)". Here's the result:

So it works! 👏👍🥰

Jennifer

Curiously, I had to select the Number format and then "Feet and inches" to get any units to be displayed.

When I selected the General category and checked Show units, none were displayed.

Jennifer

On the off chance that you might be interested in the application, here's a screenshot of the layout I created to see where we might want to put a home charging station for the electric vehicle we are looking into getting.

I knew the the straight line distances were off, but I wasn't sure by how much. It's about 20%.

I think it's pretty cool! Thanks for the help.