Define moving borders

Started by kiler40, March 11, 2013, 06:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiler40

Hello everybody.

I have this issue. Can I create a shape/path, that limits movement and orientation of another shape.
I want to move the rectangular shape around the rounded rectangle but the line that links them to be always between them (this should be a conveyor line drawing :) )

Thanks in advance.

vojo

use a connector or connection tool to draw the line.   Result is no matter where you move either shape, the line moves/stretches/etc between the 2 shapes.

Yacine

Hi Vojo,
I think, Kiler meant that the connected shape should stay at a certain distance from the drawn border of the shape.

The rectangular limits of the shape should not be a problem, but the rounded geometry of the ends are. Unless one writes a behaviour for that very specific shape, I don't know how I could get the distance from a random curve. May be the offset addon together with some macro???
Yacine

vojo

wouldnt that be more of a setatref or setatrefexpress kind of thing.

user.left = page.width *0 + 5mm
user.right = page.width*1 - 5mm

Use setatref to check if in the workable area

Something like   Setatref((if(pinx<user.right, if(pinx>user.left, pinx,user.left),user.right))

Obviously the syntax above is not 100% correct....but after playing with the family of the SETATREFs, he should get the idea.

in the past, i have used this approach to snap a shape to a grid I made....basically, extension of the help example.

kiler40

Hello Both,

Yachine yes. This is exactly my idea.
Vojo, sorry but my understanding is really not so good so far in VISIO, and i`m still learning. Could you send me an example or more detailed explanation... if it is not too much to ask :)

But thank you both for the replies :)

Visio Guy

If you have Visio 2010 or Visio 2013, the attached does what you need. The circle isn't constrained while you move, but it does snap to the nearest point along the constraining path.

Understanding the ShapeSheet formulas inside the circle is another matter, though.

Also, if you move the constraining path, the circle moves in a hard-to-predict manner.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

kiler40

I'm using Visio 2003 and this thing rejects to move anywhere...

Visio Guy

As I said, "If you have Visio 2010 or Visio 2013..."
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

kiler40

Oh... sorry. it seems i've been without my glasses...