Partial shape borders

Started by YossiD, January 27, 2009, 08:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YossiD

Is there a way to have border lines around only some sides of a shape?

vojo

One option

build shape via individual line segments and fill segments (dont use the shape algebra).   Group them, then go into each each and show / hide / format as desired.

Paul Herber

or you can construct the shape in individual geometry sections and turn them on and off. That might (will) affect shape fill though.
You could have one geometry section with no border (line format = none) to create the fill area, then as above for the individual line sections.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Visio Guy

Hi Yossi,

I created a Visio file that has an rectangle where only two sides have lines. The Visio file contains step by step instructions for how to create it as well.

Hopefully this will help you.

Cheers,

Chris
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

vojo

Note that the previous approach only works if the border is 1 type (ie either its one type or its off).   If you want to make multiple borders (solid on one side...dashed on the other), going to need to do a group thing since the line format is for all lines in the shape (shape or group level....at group, you can go into the
subgroup and set different kinds of lines).

Visio books talk about when to use groups (if regions - lines or shapes - need to have different settings) and when to use shape algebra (if its a monotomic shape with irregular outline).

Of course, if at the group level, you put in some custom props to decide (for the layman user) which edge to make say solid and which to make dash...it will bulk up the size of the group (in bytes) and thus you your drawing will bulk up.    I have done this kind of thing for blades and can easily get 5MB for complex drawings and such.

I will say doing it as groups is more intuitive (for me at least).

YossiD

Thanks loads. Exactly what I needed.