Joining 2 shapes without a dynamic connector

Started by AntmanLFE, May 01, 2014, 01:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntmanLFE

I have created an addon that places 2 custom shapes onto a page although i am having an issue connecting them together. Let me try to explain.

The main shape i will refer to as shape1 has several labelled connection points on it. For instance the first connection point name is "Connections.UI01A"

I them place down a shape known as shape2 which has a single connection point whose name is "Connections.Row_1"

What i would like to do is place and join these 2 connection points on top of each other and join them together.

Any tips or direction on how i may be able to do this? Ive tried searching although that tends to come up with results using dynamic connectors as opposed to the 2 shapes being directly joined.

(Im working in c# although vb is suitable as well :) )

Paul Herber

Add a connection point to each shape at a common point where they are to be joined.
Make one connection point type=1 and the other to type=2.
Dragging one shape will pull the other with it, however, dragging the other will disconnect it.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vojo

AntmanLFE

So my main shape has connection point type 0 (Inward) and the second shape as a connection point type 1 (Outword)

I have tried recording a macro and replicating it programatically although i keep running into "Inappropriate source object for this action"
Understandable the macro is referencing an id so i have had to modify it as it itself wont run twice if i separate the shapes and run the macro again

I have tried this a few ways although i always get the same error.

Here is one failed attempt

IVisio.Cell vsoCell1, vsoCell2;

vsoCell1 = shape1.get_CellsSRC(
                (short)IVisio.VisSectionIndices.visSectionConnectionPts, 0, 0);

vsoCell2 = shape2.get_CellsSRC(
                (short)IVisio.VisSectionIndices.visSectionConnectionPts, 0, 0);

vsoCell2.GlueTo(vsoCell1);

wapperdude

Not sure which version you're using, or if it matters, but, in V2007, ran macro recorder to create initial macro.  Then, cleaned up the macro.  Here's resulting macro:

Sub ConnShapes()
    Dim vsoCell1, vsoCell2 As Cell
    ActiveWindow.DeselectAll
    Set vsoCell1 = ActiveWindow.Page.Shapes.ItemFromID(2).CellsSRC(visSectionConnectionPts, 1, 0)
    Set vsoCell2 = ActiveWindow.Page.Shapes.ItemFromID(1).CellsSRC(visSectionConnectionPts, 0, 0)
    vsoCell1.GlueTo vsoCell2
End Sub

Seems to run fine.  One issue is that the shape ID's are hard coded.
HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

It's possible to extend the process to catenate additional shapes, i.e., make a shape train.  For example, for 3 shapes you would have:

Sub ConnShapes()
    Dim vsoCell1, vsoCell2, vsoCell3 As Cell
    ActiveWindow.DeselectAll
    Set vsoCell2 = ActiveWindow.Page.Shapes.ItemFromID(2).CellsSRC(visSectionConnectionPts, 1, 0)
    Set vsoCell1 = ActiveWindow.Page.Shapes.ItemFromID(1).CellsSRC(visSectionConnectionPts, 0, 0)
    Set vsoCell3 = ActiveWindow.Page.Shapes.ItemFromID(3).CellsSRC(visSectionConnectionPts, 1, 0)
    vsoCell2.GlueTo vsoCell1

Set vsoCell2 = ActiveWindow.Page.Shapes.ItemFromID(2).CellsSRC(visSectionConnectionPts, 0, 0)
    vsoCell3.GlueTo vsoCell2
End Sub

The key is to reset vsoCell2.  (Note: I've changed the definitions from my original reply such that there's a consistency in the cell numbering).

Anyway, it works.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

AntmanLFE

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get it to work consistently. The main problem i was having which i eventually found was that the shape was in an extra group. After i stepped down to the first sub shape i was able to successfully get the connection points to glue together.