shape data no longer displays in shape data window

Started by r in ny, September 28, 2012, 05:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r in ny

Everything was fine until I closed the shape data window (by clicking on the X in the window) for about a minute.  I reopened the window by clicking on Shape Data Window in the Data tab.  The window opened, but when I selected a shape, all that displayed in the window was "No Shape Data". I tried right-clicking on a shape and selecting Data/Shape Data; same result.  I tried it on a few different drawings; same result.  I rebooted; same result.  My company's administrator re-installed Visio 2010; same result. 

This seems bizarre.  There is probably a parameter somewhere that is preventing the shape data from displaying, but (a) I haven't a clue what it might be, and (b) I haven't changed any settings.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!!

Paul Herber

There's no setting. If the shape has shape data then it will be displayed, if no shape data is displayed then the shape has no shape data.
Add a shape from, say, the flowchart shapes, I think that should have some shape data.
If not then you can add your own shape data.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

r in ny

I'm talking about the fundamental attributes of just about every shape: height, width, position, angle of line, etc.  They were all there one moment, then I closed the shape data window, and when I reopened it, no shape had data.  I don't see how the shapes could all have lost their data by virtue of my having closed the window.  I also don't see how I could possible add all those values; rather, I depend on Visio to tell me those values.  And when I drag a new shape onto my drawing, it, too, allegedly has no shape data.

Paul Herber

They're not shape data. Well, they are but what used to be called Custom Properties are now called Shape Data. Stupid change!
What you want is the Size & Position window. Or for a more complex view look at the shape's shapesheet.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

r in ny

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Of course, the Size & Position window is buried in Task Panes in the Show group on the View tab--as any fool should know  :)   But I found it, little thanks to Microsoft Office help, which is nigh worthless.