Cross referencing or hyperlinking

Started by sambella, October 22, 2017, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sambella

I would like to place a hyperlink into a process box in Visio, then insert the drawing into a master Word document, allowing a user to click on the box and jump to the appropriate place in the document. The Microsoft Answer Desk told me that feature isn't available. Does anyone have a good solution or workaround?

wapperdude

Let me see if I have this correctly.  You create a Visio drawing, to which you add a hyperlink to jump to a page in a Word document.  Then, you insert the Visio drawing into that same Word doc, with the intention of activating the hyperlink and jumping to the appropriate doc page?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

In order to use the Visio link, the Visio drawing would 1st have to be opened in Visio. The hyperlink would then fetch the Word doc, open it, and show the desired page.  Never tried this, but the work flow seems problematic as you'd potentially have multiple copies of the Word document open.

I think putting Visio drawing in a master doc, and linking to multiple sub docs would work better.  But, there is still the issue of having to launch Visio 1st...especially in terms of distribution if such is necessary.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Hey Ken

Sambella:

Being a big fan of hyperlinking, I do this all the time.  Just insert a bookmark in your Word document.  On the Visio side, hyperlink to the document and add the bookmark name as the subaddress.  Now if only I could get that to work with a PDF!

I just tried inserting the hyperlinked Visio shape into the Word document, and when you click on it, you do go to the proper page.  Using Office 2013, it opens the target location in browse mode, but if you try to edit the document, it takes you back to the original document and shifts to edit mode, even if the document is already open.  So Mr. Dude's concern about multiple files being open does not seem to occur.

Good luck,

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com

sambella

Thank you both for your responses. Ken, will that work if the Visio drawing is inserted as an object into the Word document? My intent is to have the Word document point to the appropriate Visio drawing within the document.

Hey Ken

Sambella:

If I understand what you're trying to do, you can insert the bookmark into the document at the embedded Visio shape and just hyperlink to it as I mentioned above. 

One thing: I created a Visio shape hyperlinked to jump to a point into a Word document, inserted the shape into that document, but clicking on it did not make the jump; it just opened the shape in a Visio embedded instance.  But the hyperlink might work if you don't have Visio installed on the machine; I don't know.  All my machines have some version or other of Visio. 

I'd suggest you just hack around, try different things, and see what they do.  You know the basics of hyperlinking document to Visio and versa vice.  You know what you're trying to accomplish.  Sounds doable, though.

Again, good luck!

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com