Open visio file containing links

Started by ivan, May 01, 2010, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

I need to open a banch of visio files. of course i can use OpenEx command, but:
file contain xls links - and those links are set to auto (( if i try to open it - i can get a dialogue "links update" that can hang if file is missing etc. Opening 'by hand' i can just hit 'cancel' in the update dialogue, but how can i avoid this update opening files via macro ?
how can i force file to open no matter what missing links it contain ? i only want copy certain parts of it to the new drawing
i attached one of the files so you can try it yourself
can i do smth with xls links via macro ? set it to manual/auto for example ? i tried to record a macro - nothing

Yacine

I have a similar problem. Would be interested to see if someone can help.
Yacine

Jumpy

You could set update permanent to manually. Than you could start the update with VBA Code, which looks, if the excel sheet is there before it updates.
You could start that with the Document opened event in the ThisDocument modul.

Problem: That event seems not to be triggered, if the document is opened (from another drawing) with OpenEx. Solution could be to place the same "check if excell-Sheet is there, than update" macro in the drawing.

ivan

QuoteYou could set update permanent to manually
how ? it's like a hundred files in different folders ;)

Jumpy

Write a VBA Sub that opens all drawings and does the following:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms367407.aspx

If you browse a little the methods and properties of the DataRecordset Object you may find another solution.

Maybe this handles your initial problem?:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms367409.aspx

ivan

QuoteWrite a VBA Sub that opens all drawings
i can't open the drawing due to xls links ;)
and DataRecordset is different thing - i got links inserted via Paste special - linked xls sheet

Jumpy

Oh sorry. I always think DataRecordset when I see links with .xls.