Visio Add-in question

Started by myVisio, July 13, 2010, 03:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myVisio

Hi,

I would like to develop an Add-in using Microsoft Visio.
But because the Visio Standard edition is cheaper, I prefer to have this edition as the platform for development instead of the professional one.  But I am not sure if I can develop Add-in using the Standard edition.

Do you know if this is possible?

Thank you for the answer.

Paul Herber

It most certainly is possible.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

myVisio

The Standard edition has less functionalities than the professional. For example, the Electrical stencils are not available. I also read that we cannot call add-ons using the event section? Can this be a limitation for using the add-in under the standard edition?
Are there any constraints when we use the Standard edition to build add-ins?

This is a very important issue for me since I have to decide the edition I should go with.

Thanks a lot.

aledlund

The standard edition is the low-end of the functions that are supported. Since v2007 most of the data functionality requires at least the Professional version (as in do you want to link your drawing to data...). You get an idea of what might be needed by checking what Chris put together on template availability in v2010.
al

myVisio

Just one more question.

If I bypass the Visio data functionality and implement my own data processing (using ADO.NET for example) do you think this can be possible?

At Microsoft Visio web site, edition comparison, several features are not included in the Standard but not alot information about developing solutions using add-ins or VSLs.

Thanks a lot