Forcing text into multiple columns

Started by ekalpakoff, April 29, 2011, 09:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekalpakoff

I am trying to get a text box with a custom field to wrap text into either a second column of text or into a second text box whichever is easier.

Essentially, at my organization we use a program called D-Tools which works in concert with Visio. There is a section to write a scope of work which I want to auto populate onto my Visio cover page. So on my cover page I created a text box, inserted a custom field with "=theDOC!Prop.ProjectScopeOfWork" which works just fine to grab the text from our database and place it onto my cover page.

The problem I am running into is that some of our scope of works are VERY long and on a 24"x36" page the text can often run right off the page even with a 4pt or 6pt. font. so I need the text to "wrap" to a second column of text.

Is there any way to do this?

see the attached png for an example of what's happening, you can see the text running right past the text box and right off the page.

wapperdude

Doesn't seem like wrapping the text to a 2nd column solves your problem, which is too much text for a single page, presumably, 8.5" x 11".  Even if it all fit at 4pt, what's the point? (pun intended)  ::), you'd need a magnifying glass to read it.  It would be better to flow the text onto multiple pages.

That probably could be done, but, not easily --  suspect it would take some code since you have to add pages based upon the amount of text.  Detecting when a page has filled is a bit tricky in Visio.  Have you considered flowing the text into a Word document and then inserting that document into Visio.  Word would let you do multiple columns per page, which would make it more readable.  There's still the multiple page issue, but at least Word should have parsed it into the required number of pages.

Something to think about.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro