Need Help with Automatic Repositioning Timeline Intervals

Started by FlowerGirl, June 29, 2016, 04:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlowerGirl

I work almost exclusively with Timelines in one fashion or another.
My latest problem is related to positioning a Timeline Interval so that it does not overlap another Interval.

In my example below (made in PowerPoint for clarity) is an assortment of intervals that will get dropped on a single timeline.
What I need is: for example, if the start date of Item B is less than the finish date of item A then I need item B to bump down to an open spot.
Likewise if Item start dates of newly dropped items are less then the finish dates of already dropped items, I need them to drop down to an available spot.

I would like to have 4 rows, one is the actual timeline and the other 3 are just height locations that would be preprogrammed either into the shapesheet or maybe a "Callthis" function within the Interval stencil. 

On other Visio Timeline programs that I have built I have created Flyaways that are manually operated from right clicking on the Milestone Stencil once it is on a timeline. I use these to allow a Milestone to bump up or down a little in case it is blocking another one.
They contain Action Rows in the shapesheet with code like =SETF(GetRef(Prop.Position),1) and a LocPinY of Height*INDEX(Prop.Position,".5;.8;.2")
I obtained these items with the help of folks from this forum and I do greatly appreciate it.

So I am assuming that my solution may involve something that would be in this line of thinking, but I would like to have this function work automatically on drop.

I never have used items like SpatialNeighbors or Autoplacement functions, but I would definetly accept help in getting them to work with this situation if that is what it takes.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

FlowerGirl

Update ....  I solved this issue on my own. I may post the results here later.
Thanks for any attention you may have placed on this at this time.

SubPlanner

I would like to see how this works. I create a good amount of timeline drawings also.

SubPlanner