How do I create VISIO 2003 Add-in?

Started by galantz, May 27, 2009, 12:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galantz

I have MS Visual Basic Express 2008 and MS Visio 2003.  I'm trying to find a way to make a VISIO Com Add-in using either one of the environments with VBA/VB.NET.  I've got a lot of code that I've already developed within VISIO as macros to the files themselves, but I'd like to compile them and add them to my application so that these capabilities follow me, not the file.

Is this possible with MS Visual Basic Express 2008 and if so, could someone write down a step by step of what is needed to enable this ability.

Alternatively, in MS Excel, I can compile and save as to xla which is an MS Excel add-in, MS Word allows us to attach the macros to the normal.dot file; however, I can not find the equivalent in MS Visio.  Am I looking in the wrong place?   ???

Thanks.

aledlund

As I remember the Express products are 'dumbed down' since their target was 'students/experimenters'. For the Add-in projects AFAIK you have to use the full visual studio product. VBA is interpretive and of course can be saved with either the document, or necessary stencils.
In the end you usually get what you pay for.
al