Visio 2016 - Glue connectors to shape geometry (shape inside of another shape)

Started by shishky, May 31, 2018, 04:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shishky

Hi. I've just installed Visio 2016 and am unable to glue connectors to the geometry of a shape which is inside another shape. I have this working in Visio 2010. Note that I have enabled Glue to Shape Geometry. In the first screenshot attached, you can see I am able to glue to the geometry of the outside rectangle. But in screenshot two, I am unable to glue to the geometry of the inside rectangle. Is there an option to make this work? Please help - Thanks!

Paul Herber

Is the shape a grouped shape (containing two rectangles) or is it one shape with two geometry sections?
Glueing to the geometry of an internal grouped shape doesn't work well even with either Visio 2010 or 2016. Seems fine with a multiple geometry shape in both versions.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vojo

yes...that kind of operation has been eroding since 2003
(used to be a cell that would enable/disable connections in child shape showed at group level)

If you want to roll up your sleeves and this is a shape you wish to use over and over again, you can do

<parent>!connections.x1 = guard(loctoloc(pnt(<child shape>!geometry1.x1,<child shape>!geometry1.y1),width, <child shape>!width)))

same exact function in <parent>!connections.y1 cell