Linking Visio diagrams to Word docs stored in Sharepoint

Started by wallaced, February 09, 2009, 10:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallaced

We normally link visio diagrams to our word documents.  However, since we started to store our word and visio docs in the MS Sharepoint the linking does not work well.

Do you have any suggestions?

scott

Can you be more specific about what works and what doesn't? We have many customers who link from their process maps to documents in SharePoint, so I know that in general it does work. Might just be a small thing getting in the way...

wallaced

Within a sharepoint document library we have a visio file and a word document.

We link the visio diagrams into the word doc so when the visio diagram changes the word document will prompt us to update the links which will automatically insert the updated visio.  We link the diagram by right clicking on the diagram and choosing "Copy Drawing."  We then go to the word document and paste special and choose "paste link" as a "Microsoft Visio Drawing Object" then choose OK.  The object is now visible in Word.

After the doc is saved, closed and then we go back into the word doc is where we have issues.

When we open the word doc with links we get the following prompt.  "this document contains links that may refer to other files.  Do you want to update this document with the data from the linked files? Yes is selected.

After the document thinks for a minute, the next message that appears is "Objects in this document contain links to files that cannot be found.  The linked information will not be updated.  OK is the only option.

The Word doc comes back and the updated visios are not present.

We don't have a problem if the files are stored outside of Sharepoint and we have no problem is the visio is stored outside of Sharepoint.  We only have an issue when both files are stored in Sharepoint.

Let me know if you need further details.

scott

Ah -- so this isn't just a hyperlink in a Visio drawing that points to a Word doc stored in a SharePoint repository...

I'm not a SharePoint expert so I'm shooting in the dark a bit but this feels a bit like a relative vs. absolute link issue. The fact that it only fails when both docs are in SharePoint does add another wrinkle, but let's start here:

• Have you already saved the Visio document at the time that you copy the page? If not, ensure that is has been saved in the SP repository before you copy and paste. In fact, it's probably best to ensure that both docs have been saved in their final resting places before you create the link.
  • When you paste special in Word, which radio button is selected, Paste or Paste Link? You might try the opposite one.
  • Have you looked at the links in the Word doc to see whether anything stands out? Press ALT+F9 to display the field codes for the embedded/linked objects. No guarantees but maybe you'll see something that leads somewhere useful. If you don't see anything obvious, paste one of them here so we can take a look.

• Have you tried starting from Word, i.e., choosing Insert/Object/Create from File and experimenting with the linking vs. embedding options there? I'm not sure whether it will make a difference but it's worth a try.

wallaced

Thanks for your input Scott.  I appreciate your efforts in helping me out. Here are my findings.

I can copy a drawing from Visio and paste special (as a link) into word and I can save and make various changes to the visio and then update the link in word.  HOWEVER, once the word document is closed and reopened the link is lost.  I no longer have an option to update the link.  When I reopen the word doc I am not prompted to update the links either.  both files are located in the same document library.  Let me know if you need further information.

scott

I apologize for the delay in responding. When you open the Word document after the link has disappeared are there any vestiges of the link left behind? I had suggested you press ALT+F9 to display the field codes -- does that show anything in the area where the link should be? Perhaps the link is still there but has bad information in it?

Also, I had asked whether it made any difference if you started from Word (see above). Is the behavior the same or different if you do this?

wallaced

Sorry for my delay in response.  ;D

When pressing Alt+F9 where the link should be - nothing shows
We have tried several different processes as far as the order of opening, saving and closing the files - no differences.  The links disappear.