Dynamically changing shape based on data from linked data source

Started by jjames, December 08, 2010, 05:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjames

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread here but I've not been able to find anything here or elsewhere on the web on this topic....

What I would like to do is generate a flowchart using custom shapes linked to an Excel spreadsheet (which I've done previously in Visio 2007); however if I need to change the shape, I would like to automate this so that the shape changes according to data in the Excel spreadsheet rather than having to manually change the shape (which I've had to do in Visio 2007). Could anyone give me any pointers whether this is achievable in Visio 2007 or 2010?

Thanks in advance,
jj

Paul Herber

First of all have a look at the shape called 'Flowchart shapes' in the Basic Flowchart Shapes stencil. This shape contains four geometry sections each of which can be enabled/disabled. Those who know about linking to data could probably arrange for this shape to work in this way. So, multiple geometry sections is one way to go.
Another is to take all the different shapes to require, all at the same X/Y coordinates, group them and then, as above, arrange for their visibility to depend upon data.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

jjames

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply, with some other searches and experimentation I've got it working like a dream:

Right click on the shape, select Show Shapesheet. In the Scratch area, under column A1 enter the formula "=Prop.BT", where BT is the name of an integer data field linked to an integer field in a spreadsheet/database. If the integer in the spreadsheet/database is 1, 2, 3, or 4, in Visio it will display the Process, Decision, Document, or Data shape.

Best regards,

jj