Generating Org Chart from an Excel file

Started by planiolro, April 20, 2013, 10:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

planiolro

Dear all,

I have been trying to generate an Org Chart from an Excel file and I have a serious headache. Apart form the mandatory columns "name", "reports to" I have other columns named "post reference number" and "posts". There 70 posts out of which some of them have an identical name but an unique reference number. Apparently Visio does not like duplicates and the org chart generated does not contain the duplicate posts (posts with the same name but an unique reference number).
How can I overcome this issue and have an org chart containing the duplicates as well..

thank you in advance for your feedback.

aledlund

planiolro

Thank you for the link. I am disappointed by Visio limitation in terms of generating Org Charts.

Visio Guy

To accurately describe an orgchart in data, you really need an ID and a Reports-to ID. Even if nodes have the same name, they shouldn't have duplicate ids.

Visio's org chart wizard tries to shield users from this technical-sounding fact buy using "Name" and "Reports to" in the Organization Chart Wizard. But if you just choose your ID fields and Reports-to ID field for Name and Reports to, your org chart should turn out fine.

If you don't have these IDs in your data, you'll have to add them. I think you'll agree that if your data has two "John Smith" entries, there isn't any way Visio or any other software could determine to which John Smith another employee reports if John Smith is listed as a superior!

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010