Re-defining an image's shape

Started by samcreasy, May 21, 2013, 11:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samcreasy

Hey,

I don't really know how to describe this without uploading an example (and I can't do that at work for some reason), but here goes...

Is there any way of re-defining a shape's boundaries/border so you can fill (with the 'paint bucket' icon) only certain portions of a pre-defined shape?

I have created a pretty complex drawing using circles and straight lines (as this seemed to be the easiest way of doing it) but now when I attempt the colour in the shape, I've struck some major issues. I would like to colour in each segment a different colour, but that's not possible (from what I can tell). Normally I would use the 'special pie piece' image and layer it, but this image needed to be an oval, rather than a circle.

The simplest way I can describe it is this: Imagine you have drawn a circle and split that circle into 4 seperate quadrants with a '+' shape created with 2 lines. When you would go to 'fill' the circle, the entire circle would go a single colour. What I am after is some sort of functionality which would allow me to re-define the shapes I drawn so I can fill in each quadrant a seperate colour; that is, instead of being a circle and a '+' shape, the shape would be re-defined as four distinct quarter circles.

Obviously that is an extremely dumbed-down example, but if this feature exists it would make my life a lot easier. Currently I am colouring each section in paint and it is a tedious process...

If you need any clarification of my clumsy description, please ask.

Cheers,
Sam

Paul Herber

One shape can only have one fill colour, except ... grouped shapes. Create two or more shapes, group them together. then you can fill each part with different colours/fill patterns etc.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

samcreasy

Quote from: Paul Herber on May 22, 2013, 12:02:38 AM
One shape can only have one fill colour, except ... grouped shapes. Create two or more shapes, group them together. then you can fill each part with different colours/fill patterns etc.

Thanks Paul.

So to clarify - there is now way AT ALL to fill each quadrant of the circle with a different colour (to go back to my example)?

AndyW

That is correct, you draw a shape and fill it.

You just need to draw your quadrants a separate shapes and group them, those 4 shapes can then each be filled with different colours.

Live life with an open mind

Paul Herber

It might be very simple, depends on your shapes.I've just drawn a circle, 2 lines across the circle. I then selected all three shapes, Operation -> Fragment, select all the shapes again, group them, then select a quadrant and filled it with colour.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

samcreasy

Quote from: AndyW on May 22, 2013, 07:15:52 AM
That is correct, you draw a shape and fill it.

You just need to draw your quadrants a separate shapes and group them, those 4 shapes can then each be filled with different colours.
Unfortunately the 4-segments was merely an example. The actual diagram has about 100 different segments :/

@Paul: That sounds promising. I don't have the classic-menu version of Visio 2010, do you know where I would find the 'Operation' ribbon in the standard version?

Edit: Ok, I have figured out how to add the Fragment option. Just had a quick play around and this looks like *exactly* what I was after! Thanks a lot Paul.

I'm going to have to have a play around with the layering - it's all a bit haphazard at the moment - but I think this will work.

Cheers!

Paul Herber

Quote from: samcreasy on May 23, 2013, 10:25:47 PM
@Paul: That sounds promising. I don't have the classic-menu version of Visio 2010, do you know where I would find the 'Operation' ribbon in the standard version?

It's on the Developer ribbon. Enable this from the Options -> Advanced dialog.

samcreasy

Got it nailed down now.

Thanks for all the help guys - you'll be getting more stupid questions from me in the future :P