Changing the "Comment" on 186 shapes at once.

Started by DraftIll, November 19, 2012, 10:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DraftIll

After I turned over the drawing the requestor wanted to add two data fields to 118 objects in 4 layers, and add one data field to 68 objects in a different 4 layers.  That was easy but, all 186 shapes have a comment block that displayes the data fields when you get focus on the object.  (It displayes the comments.)

How can I change the comments on a group of selected shapes so that each shape accepts and retains the change?  Selecting all of the shapes then opening the shape sheet opens only the shape you right clicked on so when the change is made only that object accepts the change.  In case any one is wondering how I make the data fields pop up Here is a sort example:

Data fields:

MFR:
Part Number: (stored at PartNum)
Serial Number: (Stored as SN)

Comments entry:

="MFR: "&prop.mfr&Char(10)&"Part Number: "&prop.PartNum&Char(10)&"Serial Number: "&prop.SN

The Pop up then Desplays as such

MFR: Blah Blah
Part Number: xyzBLAH
Serial Number: YEAblah

So back to my origonal question If I have to change that line on 186 objects at onece how do I?

Paul Herber

Hi, would you care to download and try out my utilities for Visio
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-utilities/
It adds a new menu, once you've selected all the shapes you need to change (that is a problem in itself):
SuperUtils -> Shape -> Set Comment
and type in your formula. It will set the comment for all the shapes.
I've just tried a few shapes with the props you want, and used that formula - it works.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

DraftIll

I can try this at home.  At work I have user only rights to prevent modification to programming.

Selecting all of the objects are easy since they are the only objects in the 8 layers I mentioned unless I have to do it through your utility.  My pre-planning is great, my customers....not so much.