Shape Size Change only in one size ?

Started by davidoff, January 09, 2009, 09:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidoff

Dear Friends i would like to ask a question about shape sizing,

Whenever i want to make reduce only a part of a drawing, the drawing increases completely with all of its part (just like scaling up)

can you see the attached file ?
i want to increase the jib's dimension.

But it's not possible to edit the jibs lenght, i can only increase all of the crane dimension.
Is there any solution for this visio template drawings or can i make editable drawing.

Paul Herber

The problem is that it's a grouped shape and all the shapes within the group shape normally resize in this way, it's a bit late here now and unless someone else has a look and fixes it for you in the meanwhile I'll see if I can do something with it over the weekend.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

Paul is quite right about grouping effect.

There are two existing implementations towards a solution, both in the User Submitted stuff.  Both use a control point to extend/contract the length of an object without distorting the rest of the shape.   :o

The 1st is VisioGuy's trombone, the slide moves, but the trombone shape is constant.  The 2nd is the BoomArm in my Audio Shapes for Stage Planning submission.  Either should show how it can be done, although, the trombone shape has more going on, so the boom arm might be easier to study.   ???

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

davidoff

Thank you for support!!! , i will try to find that a special point. :))

wapperdude

OK.  So, the solution would work for you?   ???

There are several steps involved.   ::)
      1.)    Select the boomarm, right click to bring up the menu, click format > behavior > then change the group only entry to group 1st.  This allows you to select shapes within the group by repeated left clicking.
      2.)    Regarding shape construction:
             a.)  Open the shapesheet for the group.  Two things to note:
                     i.   Protection section:  the LockCalcWH cell is set to "1".  This prevents the alignment (selection) box from changing as you move the boomarm in and out.
                     ii.   Controls:  this was added manually.  Right click in the shapesheet, insert section, select controls.  You should see the yellow diamond on the shape, at the (0,0) location of your shape.  I renamed the row for convenience, but it's not necessary to do so.
                          Drag the control to about where you'd like it.  The entry values will change in the shapesheet.  (Or, you can type in values directly into the shapesheet.) 
                          For convenience, I set the Can Glue cell to false.
            b.)   Now click on the boomarm to select it.  Open it's shapesheet.
                    i.  You will notice that in the Shape Transform section, the width, height entries have a Sheet.#! prefix, where # is some number. 
                        This refers to the group shape. 
                    ii.  Now, look at the Geometry1 section.
                         1.  Notice the reference to controls.slide.y.  This is the control point that was added to the group shape. 
                             Turns out, when I made the shape, the original local, orientation was vertical, hence, the "Y" entries.
                         2.  You only see one call to the control point, because I "slaved" the next to last row entry to the first row entry for "Y". 
                             This makes both points identical in the "Y" direction.
                         3.  The very last row just closes the shape and makes sure it is a "closed" shape.

Well, that's about it.
Visio 2019 Pro

davidoff

yes thats the solution, especially the first one,
behavior options is very good solution i think, i will work on them!!!
::) ::) ::)

wapperdude

Just a couple of additional caveats:
1.)  The "scaling" of a subgroup to the main group may not be 1:1, see the Width / Height cells for the scaling factor.
2.)  Depending upon how the shapes were defined, especially when grouped, there are times when the scaling is also negative  :o relative to the group.
3.)  Finally, sometimes there are "fixed" offset factors.

All of these can come into play when trying to equate a sub-shape's response to a group control point.  It all depends upon how the initial subshapes were built and then combined into the group.  Hmmm.  Sounds like a good tutorial subject for VisioGuy.   ::)

Visio 2019 Pro