Data Graphics disappear behind some shapes

Started by Visisthebest, November 05, 2023, 07:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

When I set data graphics on some shapes, the data graphics disappear behind the shape.

The displaylevel on the shape and its subshapes is set to 0, just like the data graphics.

Is there a way to specify data graphics when they are added to the page should have a higher display level, or should always appear on top?

Weirdly, I cannot fix this by moving the group shape back, only the specific subshapes.
Visio 2021 Professional

Visisthebest

I tried to set the DisplayLevel in the subshapes to a minus level, so I would expect this to fix the issues when I add data graphics to the group shape.

It does not, the data graphics still disappear behind some subshapes. If I move these subshape back (Send to back), then the data graphics will show.

I wonder how I can make sure the data graphics appear on top of all subshapes in the group shape, to force this in a group shape with subshapes which seem to behave oddly this way.
Visio 2021 Professional

Visisthebest

Ok, so to prep these group shape I try to run this VBA on the group shape, before data graphics are applied.

The code does a SendToBack on all subshapes a 100 times, doing this hoping it resets the Z order way backwards of all the subshapes.

Sub SendSubShapesToBackXTimes()

Dim S As Shape

Set S = ActiveWindow.Selection(1)

Dim SS As Shape

Dim Looper As Integer

For Looper = 1 To 100

For Each SS In S.Shapes

SS.SendToBack

Next

Next

Dim SSCount As Integer

SSCount = S.Shapes.Count

MsgBox (CStr(SSCount))

End Sub

but no luck, still I have to SendToBack several subshapes AFTER applying data graphics.

How can I prepare the Z order of the subshapes in a group shape so they always appear behind Data Graphics?
Visio 2021 Professional

wapperdude

I wonder if this a VSDX issue and problem goes away f saved as VSD?
Visio 2019 Pro

Visisthebest

Yes I read the other post on this I will try this and let you know.

Editing the VSDX XML I will try as well, have a hunch that is a solution also.
Visio 2021 Professional

Visisthebest

Tried to save to VSD but makes no difference.

What works though is the horrible option:

after an ungroup, then group again...

the behavior is fine and data graphics appear on top of all subshapes.

Hope to find a better way to deal with this.

Visio 2021 Professional