Newb Question - Resize Drawing/Keep Aspect Ratio

Started by zenlikeme, December 13, 2013, 02:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenlikeme

Hey guys, I'm sorry to even have to post this.  Its a very easy solution I'm sure.  I've searched high and low, watched about 2 hours of visio videos on youtube.. but just can't seem to find the solution.  I'm sure its just a function of not knowing the right terminology to search for.

So, what I have done is import a jpeg of a floorplan into visio.  I used it as a template to draw the floorplan with wall shapes.  I then delete the jpeg, leaving only the visio shapes.  Basically used the jpeg as a stencil.

I now want to enter the correct dimension for one of the walls and have all the other walls auto adjust size (keeping the overall ratio of the drawing).  Can this be done?  I'm hoping I don't have to enter all of the dimensions one by one and reconnect all of the walls.

Thanks!

wapperdude

Basically, select all of the floor plan shapes..CNTL key + A..., then with everything selected, group all of the objects...SHIFT+CNTL+G.  Now right click the newly formed group (still selected), a pop-up menu displays.  Select Format > Protection > Aspect ratio. Now enlarge the group to the desired size.  What I don't remember is if the walls will change thickness with this process.  I don't think so.  Then, if you don't want the shaped grouped, SHIFT+CNTL+U. 

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

zenlikeme

Hmm,  when I right click and go to format, I don't see a protection option.. just text, line, fill, allow/remove themes.  Guess I should have mentioned im using visio 2010.. not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the quick response Wapperdude!

wapperdude

Unfortunately, I don't have V2010.  I thought the right-click context menu was still the same. Apparently not. 

With the group selected, you'll have to navigate the ribbon.  Last time I looked at V2010, was... 2010.  I believe you need to go toward the end of the ribbon on the right.  Don't recall if there was a Developer tab or something like that.  I think Protection was in there.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

zenlikeme

OK.. Visio 2010:  Protection is not displayed by default (http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/visio-2010-protect-document-shapes/).  For those who run into this.

The quick version:
Customize Quick Access Toolbar (top left, to right of redo button) > More commands > All commands (drop down "choose commands from") > Add, "protection..."

You will now see a "protection button" between the redo and Quick Access Toolbar (top left).  You can then select what to protect, i.e. Aspect Ratio.

However...
This didn't work for my intended purpose  :-[  Many of the walls seemed to remain fixed to certain points and ended up at angles and stretched across my drawing...

If anyone else has any ideas, it would be much appreciated. 

wapperdude

If you selected everything, or at least, every wall shape, grouped the selection, and then protected the aspect ratio, it should work as desired.  Somehow, it seems like not everything was grouped properly...namely the pieces that had one end not move.  The other end probably moved because it was glued to something that did move and so it tagged along.

I've attached a Visio file that has many wall pieces.  The original, ungrouped, has dark blue walls.  A grouped version has gray walls.  The group has protected aspect ratio and clearly preserves the overall shape.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro