Is there a list of built-in stencils by Visio version?

Started by nhebb, August 19, 2012, 12:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhebb

I was wondering whether Microsoft - or some thoughtful blogger - has a list of built-in stencils by Visio version (2007, 2010, 2013) and edition (Standard, Pro, Enterprise)?

aledlund

nhebb

Thanks aledlund. The first link was especially helpful.

I'm creating a tool to import / export flowcharts between Visio and Excel, and I need to map the Office autoshapes to their corresponding Visio shapes where possible. I have Visio 2003 Pro on one of my systems and Visio 2010 Pro on another. However I'm finding that the shapes available on the same stencil (e.g., Basic Flowchart Shapes) are not consistent across these two versions. It's unfortunate that Microsoft doesn't have that level of detail available for the version differences.

nhebb

I'm not familiar with that tool, but it will probably be something similar. I make an Excel add-in called FlowBreeze. A number of my customers have asked for Visio import/export, so I'm just investigating adding those features.

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

nhebb

Hi Paul,

Thanks - that's a good article. Thanks to this, I can create an autoshape to built-in stencil/master mapping.

I had wrongly assumed that the major differences would have been starting with Visio 2007, like the other Office applications. From your article, it appears that Visio 2010 was the version with the major redesign (with ribbon), so that information is very helpful.

P.S. I remember you from the AISIP newsgroups. Out of curiosity, do you know if that newsgroup is still active?

Paul Herber

Hi Nick, glad you found it useful  ;D
Visio 2010 is where it all started going wrong.

The AISIP is no more as far as I know. Shame.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

nhebb

Quote from: Paul Herber on August 21, 2012, 02:43:35 PM
Visio 2010 is where it all started going wrong.

Sounds like I have some research to do to avoid pitfalls. Thanks again, Paul!

wapperdude

Just have a good Dr. available, pitfalls unavoidable.   :(
Visio 2019 Pro