Flowchart without shapes or outlines for text

Started by Gordo, February 09, 2011, 04:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordo

Considering purchase of Visio.  My first flowchart will be text blocks or one-liners without shapes or "containers" - just lines to connect the text as I grow the tree.  If Visio allows such a bare-bones chart, how far back (earlier versions) is it possible?

I have a lot of text to fit on the sheet and don't need icons, graphics & shapes, which tend to chew up space while admittedly making it more legible.  I'm hoping there will be a "Yes" forthcoming......The program looks very interesting; I'd like to go with it but I need to knock out a series of these "text heavy" charts to begin with.

Thanks,

Gordo   

Paul Herber

Yes, all very simple in Visio. A piece of text is still a shape, it's just a shape without a visible line. And don't worry about using up space, you can add thousands of shapes to a page before getting a performance hit. Any version of Visio should work.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Gordo

Thanks Paul.  Sounds good.   My "chewing up space" was in reference to the amount of (open) space on the sheet - how close lines or paragraphs can be positioned (line spacing & end to end).  Is line spacing & space between shapes (text blocks without visible borders) locked into a font size relationship?  Also wondering how text or graphics is positioned - dragging (infinitely variable) or by increments on an "X" "Y"  grid?  My first application is a fine print, closely packed tree........not unlike "War & Peace" ....689 pages - no pictures!

I'm ready to jump in the deep end, therefore not necessary that you reply...unless it would be helpful to others considering Visio.

Thanks,
Gordo     

wapperdude

There's reasonable flexibility with text:  line spacing, paragraph spacing, left/right/top/bottom margins, etc.

I believe Visio will do all that you'd need.

Here's a really dumb example -- different font faces, font sizes, line colors, and arrowheads.  Note, arrowheads could be eliminated.  Some very small, so you'd have to zoom in to see what's written.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro