Associating a hyperlink with a shape whose URL is drawn from an external file

Started by JeffG, July 19, 2012, 06:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffG

The problem:
I maintain between two and three thousand Visio drawings as part of my job.  I often link web URLs to shapes within those drawings.   All is well unless the imbedded URL changes; if it does, the task of upkeep is very nearly unmanagable.

What I would like to be able to do:
I'd like to have a hyperlink associated with the shape which is composed of two parts:
1) The main part of the URL, which would be read from an external file or table, and
2) A portion of the URL whick is unique to that one drawing, which would be stored in the drawing itself.

That would permit me to maintain the main portion of the URL in one location, if the web address were to change, while pulling in the drawing specific portion of the URL from somewhere within the drawing.

I'm not a coder, and pretty much only know the basics in Visio.   Is what I have described even possible with the product (Visio 2007)?
Thanks!
Jeff   

aledlund

Assuming you're at v2007 Pro (not standard), you can do datalinking to external sources.
http://visio.microsoft.com/en-us/Get_Started/How_To/Learn_Visio_2010_from_Visio_MVPs/Pages/default.aspx
sessions eight and fifteen might give you some ideas.
al

JeffG

Thanks for the links!   Actually I do have Std (not Pro) -- that appears to be at least part of the problem.   I'll pursue getting Pro and tinker with that.   I'm just not sure that what I want to do is acheivable (dynamically build --and follow-- a hyperlink URL using a base URL from an external source, plus a drawing specific portion of the URL that is stored with the drawing.)

aledlund

what you're attempting is going to require coding, and the pro version will assist a lot with that. otherwise your going to have to learn how to read the external data source, in addition to the visio integration.
al

JeffG

Thanks, Al.   Sounds like a copy of Pro is the next logical step.