question about line format

Started by david, December 02, 2008, 11:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david

hi guys, i have another question.

i created a polygon shape by grouping some shapes.  i did the group because in my program i sometimes need to give the polygon's line two colors.
anyway, when i right click on the shape and ask for "Line Format" to change the line colors, it changes the colors of all the lines of the shapes inside the group.  this is not what i want.  is there a way to tell the Line Format window to change only the color of a specific shape in the polygon.

hope anyone here have an idea.
thanks
David

Paul Herber

As the shapes have been grouped then what you are changing is the grouped shape's color. Depending upon the group properties you may be able to click on and select just part of the shape, then select line format for just that shape.
Whether you select the group or individual shapes in controlled from menu Format -> Behavior, in the group behavior section.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

david

i'm not sure what you meant.  if you meant to change (in format->behaviour) the selection from "group only" to "members first" then it really colors the line of the specific members shape only. but it's still not good for me.  the user shouldn't know that the shape is actually a group.  i don't want him to move the inside shapes to someplace they shouldn't be.  that's why i wrote "group only".  but i do want him to be able to change only the colors of the inside shapes.  so far i allowed it in the custom properties.  but i allowed it only for 8 different colors.  now i want to allow the user choose whichever color he wants but i didn't succeed doing it without changing the line colors of all the shapes in the group.

if i misunderstood you please explain again.
and if anyone else has an idea please let me know.

thanks
David

wapperdude

You might want to explore the use of DOCMD(1065).  For example, if you put that in the double click behavior, then, double clicking (duh!  ::) ) will bring up the Line Format menu, and part of that is line color.  Somehow, you'll have to work out the details of activating that DOCMD.   :P

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

david

hi Wapperdude,
thanks for you answer.

i already knew about DOCMD(1065), but it still didn't help because it opened the same Line Format window (which changes all the lines in the group and not part of them).

but i actually solved it in a different way.  i added in custom properties line colors for each shape in the group and through the shapesheet i can now change the colors of each shape only and not all the shapes in the group which is what i needed :).