Stencils Travel With Document

Started by Gregory Jackson, November 16, 2011, 11:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Jackson

I am creating a document that uses a particular stencil. When I send the document via e-mail the stencil is not included when the receiving person opens the document. How  do I get the stencil to stay attached with the document? I am using the toggle layer stencil and the stencil need to be resident in the stencil or it does not work.

Any suggestions?

thx,

~r

Jumpy

The only stencil that travels with the document is the document stencil. You could place your shapes in it and use it like a normal stencil, but it is not realy elegant, so there is no good solution to your problem.

On the other hand you could send the stencil as a separate file, too. The user then has to place it where Visio can find it (perhaps in the MyShapes folder?) and your document will open with the stencil. Problem with thas is, that the user has to do something, so it's not user friendly.

Sorry, Jumpy

vojo

I thought templates include all stencils used when template created?

Paul Herber

The template only saves a reference to the stencil(s) (full path as well as the stencil name). You can see this if you save the stencil as XML.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Gregory Jackson