go through all reference to apply data to shapes

Started by kiler40, December 09, 2013, 06:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiler40

Surrogate,
you are absolutely right.
Unfortunately i don`t have all input data yet (like in what position what currency should go 3, 5, 10, 25.)
But for me is not a problem to make the shape with multiple choices. For example with one to show all represented by a shapedata input.

I`m thinking for the future, because i`ll have really small window of time to do the end "product"

Nikolay

Sorry for the late response, maybe still can be useful though.. it's better late than never :)
I could suggest the following solutions:

1. Use formulas in Excel, and switch "reference number" (i.e. combination) in excel (e.g. using INDEX function)

- you add "column selector" cell.
- you add new column "used" which will have select one of other columns (ref1, ref2, ref3, etc) depending on "Active column" selector.
- bind Visio shapes to that that "used" column (in fact, to a "formula" column). Use "position" and "connector" as keys, so you won't need to bind by hand.
- set "ref1" as "active" column in Excel.
- switch to Visio, update data from excel, export PDF for ref1
- switch back to Excel, set "ref2" as active.
- switch to Visio, update data, export PDF for ref2
- ... and so on for other REF combinations ...

Check out the attachments & video :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8b2lmNosHk

2. You do it all by code (note you could do that without data-binding at all). Either yourself, or ask somebody. I don't think it is that much of work, but I think that details of the project will be required.  So to help you with code, more details are required.

The basic idea here, like suggested by Surrogate, you write a macro in Excel, which scans data in excel, and applies it to the shapes directly. You can search shapes using "shape data", or to be more efficient you could use shape names.

kiler40

Greetings Nikolay,
the solution you proposed is something i use for some time, because this is not the first case with me when i put multiple information from excel to visio shapes with lots of properties. (i used to create one really complex shape that is repeated like this fuses but represents wires that are behind the fuses with lots of more information to change and react to)
And there once again i have this issue - to many different references.
I`ll attach the organized fuses in all fuse boxes, and the excel file from where the information is coming.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10255673/video_new.zip

First one - you will mention that there are 2 pages "R4S" and "S4S"
the difference is that in the biggest fuse box there are different values of the fuses.
in the excel file i have the same 2 sheets + one additional "for_visio"
there i`ll just change the path from R4S to S4S and do the linking for the second page in visio.
(so far this is the easiest way to do the job)
But in total there are 72 different combinations. My idea was somehow to automate this changing.
at least first for the R4S page, and then if it is possible the same algorithm to be used for the S4S page.
And finally the name of the reference need be shown in the box in the top left corner....
Little tricky stuff :\

But of-course,
Thanks you ALL for the responses so far !

kiler40

A gentle pus-up

I have cleared all things that bugs me, and now when i change the active ref (as Nikolay proposed with INDEX function) i update the data in Visio and everything is ok.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10255673/video_new.zip

My question is - how to do a cycle from visio to excel when the page is saved/printed to pdf, to go excel and change the active ref.

Sorry for bringing this thread back.. but cant deal with the issue